PDA

View Full Version : STR WORKER

smartie
06-15-2006, 08:05 AM
HELLO EVERYONE

I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED A NEW JOB AS A STR WORKER WHICH STANDS FOR SUPPORT TIME AND RECOVERY WORKER. MY ROLE IS TO SUPPORT PEOPLE WHO SUFFER FROM ANXIETY, PANIC ATTACKS AND WHO SUFFER FROM AGORAPHOBIA. I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE TO GIVE ME A INSIGHT TO HOW PEOPLE FEEL AND WHAT COPING STRATEGIES HAVE WORKED AND HAVN'T. I FEEL THE MORE KNOWLEDGE I HAVE, THE BETTER I CAN BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS MAY EFFECT PEOPLE. I DO UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE EXPERIENCE DIFFERENT THINGS AND THIS IS WHY I COULD DO WITH MORE KNOWLEDGE ON HOW PEOPLE EXPERIENCE DIFFER.

:) :)

kim
06-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Check out the site - http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditio ... hobia.html (http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/agoraphobia.html) it pretty much covers all the symptoms of agoraphobia or read everyones posts.

Personally I have been agoraphobic for 17 years - and been on meds all that time, just currently changing meds (to a new more update version - SSRI). My biggest help (asides from the pills) was one of my friends (she was my support person), she took me places, but never pushed. The most eye opening and informative thing for both of us (and I was panicking all the way) was we both went to an agorophobic meeting place (where current and past sufferers meet) and people spoke of what they did to cope and things they had accomplished. This firstly showed me I was not alone, and that there were worse cases than mine (one girl couldn't go into the building she was lying curled up on the floor), and it also gave my friend a greater understanding of what I was going through. This same friend is this time around going to get me out and about again - god love her.

So, my advice to you is just be there, be calm and maybe let the agorophobic decide where they want to go and what they want to achieve in their own time - and if they freak out, take it in your stride and remain calm and help them out of the situation if they don't think they can get through it. Breathing techniques, exercise, diet, meds, nature, relaxation, an intelligent helpful doc and good friends are all pluses in my books.

You will need lots of patience and persistance (without being pushy). Good luck!!!