PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to post this..

jj1983
09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I have signed up for panic courses and wanted to fwd an email I got today!

Bing Crosby summed this up in his song Ac-Cent-Tchu-ate The Positive. Now, I'm not suggesting that you go out and buy a Bing Crosby CD but the message is worth listening to.

One of the problems with anxiety is that it is self perpetuating. How much time do you spend thinking about your thoughts. I used to find myself checking to see what frame of mind I was in. Ridiculous as it sounds I used to worry about worrying. I would wake up in the morning and ask myself how I was feeling? Was I edgy or relaxed.

It is this cycle of anxious thoughts that does so much to fuel anxiety. Someone who is suffering from anxiety can easily check on their mental condition several times a day, This is simply because anxiety has such a huge impact on our minds and bodies
Once you have overcome the physical symptoms of anxiety and panic you can still be left with a feeling of continual anxiety. It can feel like a thick fog that surrounds your mind and seeps into every thought taking all the joy out of every situation. You can end up feeling isolated as if it is impossible to interact with other people at almost any level.

Anxious thoughts can act almost as a barrier, keeping the rest of the world out and stopping us from interacting. This isolated feeling is one of the main symptoms of anxiety.

So how can you stop these feelings?

When you are caught up in these feelings you tend to focus on te negative aspects all the time. One way to start to overcome this is to start focusing on the positive.

An easy way to do this is simply to enjoy being grateful!

Instead of dwelling on the worry you need to re-educate yourself to dwell on the good things in your life, exercise the positive thinking muscles of your brain. Now I know that your brain doesn't contain muscles but it has been proven that if we think positively or think happy thoughts our brain releases happy chemicals.

By practicing this we encourage our brain to do exactly that. Practice makes perfect and we can actually train our brain to be happier.

Start by sitting down and making a list of everything in your life that you are grateful for. Try to make a list of about fifteen different things. The proof of how your brain works comes as you repeat this exercise every day.

Your mind is used to worrying and this muscle is out of practice. First time I did this exercise I struggled to get past ten things and really had to think about things to be grateful for. Twelve months on I could fill two sides of A4. Nothing had really changed apart from my mental attitude. One of the side effects of that shift in attitude and a few other things was that my anxious thoughts stopped

As you practice this you will feel yourself starting to lift the gloom and anxious thoughts will start to effect you less and less.

This is an abbreviated version of a very powerful mental exercise that I learnt by doing the Panic Away Program.

As for Bing Crosby's Ac-Cent-Tchu-ate The Positive.....That was my theme tune for 12 months. I listened to it all the time throughout 2008-2009.

Itzomi
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
One of the problems with anxiety is that it is self perpetuating. How much time do you spend thinking about your thoughts. I used to find myself checking to see what frame of mind I was in. Ridiculous as it sounds I used to worry about worrying.

Ha! Yep - worrying about worrying. Like a dog chasing its tail!!

But it's hard, because the media tells you, "STRESS KILLS!!" (Um, do they think that's gonna HELP?!) Then you think, "OMG, this worrying is going to give me a heart attack! ...Was that a chest pain I just felt? Crap! Something's wrong with my heart!! I knew it!!" Etc.....

jj1983
09-10-2010, 01:53 PM
YES that is me exactally!!!or someone else has heart issues,may not even be anyone you know and you instantly feel you have heart issue too.

thistleburden
09-13-2010, 04:30 PM
thank you VERY much for posting this.
I am STILL waiting for my first CBT session (3 weeks later after asking for one) and I've been trying to do this: think fucking positive!!
And I do try, I get so much "thinking about thinking" and dwelling on it and I can't concentrate. And like you guys are saying EEEEEEEEVERYTHING that's a health issue I think "SHIT! what if I've got that!" and I try to completely eject it from my mind on reading or hearing it.

I think the list writing would be a great thing and I feel that I should be at a great point in my life! I just graduated and I have tons of opportunities ahead and I have so many aspirations, as everyone does, and focusing on the positivity of the future is what is going to help every one of us.

I feel better already. ;)