PDA

View Full Version : DIET CHEATING

Razz
09-08-2010, 07:52 AM
I know that what we eat is almost as powerful as a drug. Back in March my blood work showed that I was a little high on my fasting glucose so my doctor sent me to a dietitian to try to get it lower.

We have eaten nearly organically and whole foods for over 30 years but I do like bread, especially ethnic breads and they can be as glycemic as table sugar or worse. So I was given a diet that was near the Adkins diet with the only carbs from vegetables. As my glycogen stores went down I started having panic attacks, which I had not done in 20 years. I was told the body would change to learn to get necessary glycogen from protein and fats. Six week later I was so sick I was ready to die.

So I went back on my old diet sans the bread and treats. I stabilized in a week but it took at least 6 weeks for my nervous system to recover. Now over the past few months I have started cheating with a cookie after a meal or more bread. Last night I went overboard with noodle soup, 5 slices of French bread and 3 cookies....and I crashed hard and was sick all night.

I am wondering if my random cheating is causing some nervous system compromises even though I am not getting a profound crash like last night. What have others found.

Thanks for reading and responding.

James

Robbed
09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Although I can't necessarily say that I always practice this myself, I think the key to good nutrition is moderation. NOT total deprivation. This is why strict diets (like Atkins) ALWAYS fail in the long run. Also, I just don't think the human body was meant to function with that kind of diet. If it was, then it wouldn't have its many side effects, like bad breath, lethargy, and body odor. If Atkins was SO good for you, then you would genuinely feel good on it.