PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

allysum
09-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Hello all
I have been suffering from anxiety, panic attacks and phobias for years and have finally decided to look for some help. As a result I am due to see a therapist this week to start a course of CBT. I wondered if anyone here has tried it/is having it and whether it helped at all? I'm trying to be as positive as I can and am going to give it my best shot but am at a low point thinking I shall be stuck like this forever and nothing can change me.

Terror-x
09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
i think a few people have tyryed it on here so dont go out your way before you have advise of people who have actually had it we are here to help each other myself have not had it but i am getting to the stage were i can allmost controle my anxeity and it is starting to make me feel abit better so im here for your help if you need an7y questions just feel free to ask :D

Charmbracelet81
09-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I am 13 months in on CBT. All I know, is it has saved me. I have never been on meds but had severe anxiety and panic daily! I am doing so much better now, and cut down to going twice a month rather than 4 or 5 times. At first I felt like THIS ISNT WORKING! I WILL NEVER BE NORMAL!!!! ect.....but it does work. :D

Robbed
09-06-2010, 07:33 PM
CBT can also mean different things to different people. Strictly speaking, traditional CBT means thought error analysis (often abbreviated to the 'TEA' of 'TEA forms'). This involves tracking bad thoughts and replacing them with more positive ones. But other therapies, such as ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) and exposure therapy are also considered to be CBT by some. For instance, the therapy advocated by Claire Weekes is said by many to be CBT, but is actually a combination of ACT and exposure therapy (you will not hear a peep about TEA forms in 'Complete Self-help for your Nerves'). Other therapies that are not traditional CBT are classified as CBT as well, but have little in common with filling out TEA forms. So which is actually best? That depends on your exact problems, your personality, and even the stage of your recovery. But it is generally best if the therapist has knowledge about more than one type of therapy (or more than one CBT method, if this is how you look at CBT). This way, you can experiment to find which works best for you, or which works best for you under different circumstances.

allysum
09-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Thanks everyone. One of the most amazing things about deciding to get help at last is that I'm discovering I'm not alone. I just thought I was some kind of lunatic or mad to have such constant worries about normal things and no-one else on the planet would understand. I daren't tell anyone else about it for fear that they will think I'm weird. Although I actually kind of like weird, I don't want to be just the same as everyone else, but I do want to do things that everyone else does without feeling afraid.

pebble
09-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Hi, I had about 8 sessions of CBT. While I can't say that for me it was the "cure" it was very helpful in making me aware of some of my thought patterns and how they were contributing to my anxiety so it was certainly a great help and a good start in my journey toward becoming anxiety free. My therapist was also a very kind lady and overall it was a very positive experience even if it was not ultimately "the answer". Good luck.

allysum
09-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks Pebble, my first session is tomorrow so I'll have to wait and see how it goes. I'm already anxious about just getting there as I have to get to the city for the appointment! Even if it isn't the answer for me too I think it's got to be a step in the right direction. My brain seems to have a mind of it's own (if that makes sense) and I really think I need some help to re-train it.