PDA

View Full Version : how bad can irrational fears get

boxer
08-30-2010, 09:36 PM
I had a panic attack a few minutes ago and felt like i was trapped in my head and had a fear that everything around me was fake

ThePhoenix
08-31-2010, 12:40 AM
I had a panic attack a few minutes ago and felt like i was trapped in my head and had a fear that everything around me was fake

Irrational fears can get just crazy, but they are just that: Irrational! If I have some idea I just tell myself I am being ridiculus and over analyzing. Take a deep breath and forget it!

Charmbracelet81
08-31-2010, 09:59 AM
THEY CAN BE HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a similar attack as you did last Friday. I thought for sure I was trippin'! Just in an instant, it consumed me....I know how ya feel. I even had to call my therapist which I never do (even though she offers it to me anytime) because I don't want to rely on something forever, and she walked me through my realxation techniques until I "came out of it." Scary for sure, though.

Robbed
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
I even had to call my therapist which I never do (even though she offers it to me anytime) because I don't want to rely on something forever, and she walked me through my realxation techniques until I "came out of it."

Your therapist lets you call her if you are going through a crisis? I can't imagine ANY therapist I EVER had offering this to me. It always seemed like they tried to get me out of their office ASAP after 50 minutes, and they did not want to see me (or hear from me) again until the next session. Maybe your therapist could even help me with my confidence and self-esteem problems. Unfortunately, weekly (or even twice a month) round trip airfare to New Mexico from California would be cost-prohibitive.

Anyway, as far as irrational thoughts, as the other guy said, they are just that - irrational. They are often SO bad that they cause anxiety sufferers to believe that they have a MUCH more serious mental health issue than simply anxiety disorder. And the feeling that everything is fake is actually one of the more common fears.

Rob1978
08-31-2010, 10:51 PM
I can relate to that. When I leave my house, if I just for a moment consider the concepts of space and time, I can throw myself into a very bad state of mind. It's like my body is a vehicle with no one at the wheel, and I have to run home before I have a breakdown. On really bad days, I have to hide my arms and legs from view to avoid that "vehicle" feeling.

Charmbracelet81
09-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Yeah, the offer is always there for me to call. Makes me feel better, but like I said, I don't wanna get hooked to her LOL!

I'm giong to California from New Mexico next month :D

Jamescc
09-01-2010, 04:42 PM

I had something very similar, I had a panic attack and I was like "I feel fake, whats going on.. everything is weird" and then you start to worry even more! and you feel even more out of control, which then brings on other irrational thoughts..... remember:

A thought is just a thought, the reality is that you are fine, and enjoying life (Evidence)