PDA

View Full Version : Don't let anyone bring you down!!!

Charmbracelet81
08-25-2010, 09:42 AM
CBT is the best decision I have ever made. Heck, going through psychoanalysis is harder! :tongue: Just wanted to say, I recommend it to anyone. Just gotta make sure you and your therapist are a good match.

No matter what anyone tells you, or tries to bring down your efforts to get better, trust God, the treatment you are receiving, and giving your all to get better and it will happen. It's happening for me, and I am so thankful.

TwitchGreenMachine
08-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Hey Charm....When your in CBT, what do they say to do, if you worry too much or negative self talk?

ThePhoenix
08-27-2010, 01:43 AM
No matter what anyone tells you, or tries to bring down your efforts to get better, trust God, the treatment you are receiving, and giving your all to get better and it will happen. It's happening for me, and I am so thankful.

I couldnt agree more! Plus the effect that just having belief that things will get better is a really powerful tool! One of my fav quotes is this one:

"To believe a thing is possible is to make it so"

:)

Charmbracelet81
08-27-2010, 10:26 AM
That's an awesome quote, Phoenix!!! :D

Twitch, well a HUGE part of my therapy is rationalizing all my anxious thoughts which lead to my high anxiety and panic and avoidance ect. So say, I have a thought of, "OMG, I''m GONNA HAVE A HEART ATTACK!" I am learning to rationalze the thought by telling myself, "people that are having heart attacks don't just keep going with their day, they can't even think of it because the pain is so bad." It's not ignoring the thoughts, it's accepting them as just a thought and changing the way they are viewed. This makes them start going away/easier to handle when they pop up.

ss_worrier
08-27-2010, 09:51 PM
I totally agree with charmbracelet. CBT works really well. But one problem that I have with it is that it sometimes only keeps me calm during the very day I've been to therapy, or that it only "cures" the negative thoughts that I've discussed with my therapist and not the general anxiety problem. New thoughts keep popping up that I can't cope with until the next time I see my therapist. But I've only been in therapy for about seven months, I guess these things take time.

Charmbracelet81
08-28-2010, 09:10 AM
SS-I've been goin' a year and still get the thoughts, just coping and rationalizing them is starting to work for me. How often do you go to therapy? I was going every week for 10 months... cut back to every 2 weeks 2 months ago. I was unsure at first about that, but gave it a try and it works for me. I don't put a time on it or anything, I just felt ready to be more 'on my own." Someday I will cut to once a month and so on...

ss_worrier
08-28-2010, 08:23 PM
SS-I've been goin' a year and still get the thoughts, just coping and rationalizing them is starting to work for me. How often do you go to therapy? I was going every week for 10 months... cut back to every 2 weeks 2 months ago. I was unsure at first about that, but gave it a try and it works for me. I don't put a time on it or anything, I just felt ready to be more 'on my own." Someday I will cut to once a month and so on...

Charmbracelet,

It's very comforting to hear that the CBT takes time to work. I go to therapy once a week, though I haven't had a session in a while now since I just moved abroad for a year. But the plan is for me to keep the therapy up through Skype and phone contact, so I plan on having one session per week all throughout the year abroad as well. I guess moving and not having been able to have therapy for a few weeks has been very stressful in itself, and that it usually works better than it does right at the moment. Cutting back gradually like you've done soinds like a very good thing, I'm very impressed that you've managed to accomplish so much that you're actually able to cut down on the number of sessions -- you should be really proud of that! Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's really good to hear that CBT can work that well.