PDA

View Full Version : GAD- Does any of this sound familiar??

ciaran_p
08-25-2010, 07:14 AM
I've been diagnosed with GAD. Im 27 now, and have been suffering with it since I was 20. For 6 of those years I didn't know what was wrong with me, and they were pretty dark years, from thinking i had a brain tumour, taking anti depressant because i was told i had depression( fluoxitine actually made the anxiety worse) to breaking down in front of my mother because I couldn't keep it to myself anymore. For most of that period, Derealisation has been my main problem, and although Im not completely over it, being able to understand it has helped me rationalise my thoughts and see it for what it is: ie, an intrusive mind set that makes you question the reality of everything! Anyway, by managing that, I have been told that my anxiety levels were the cause of the derealisation. I still get very anxious spells for weeks at a time, for no reason, and when its not so bad, i am constantly thinking of how to get better, so it is with me in one way or another 24/7. The physical effects of anxiety are very unpleasant. I can feel it through my limbs and back, and have periods of intense pressure in my head (3 neurologists and 2 brain scans have shown no irregularities in my head). It goes beyond 'butterflies in the tummy'. Hangovers are intensified by this, where all symptoms of anxiety are heightened, and although i love to have a drink with friends, I kind of dread it, because of the inevitable feelings i will experience for a few days after. I donn't fear any situations, like flying, confined spaces or speaking in public, but when the anxiety (which is always there at some level) intensifies it can make me avoid situations and make life pretty unenjoyable. EG, I am a newly qualified history teacher, and although I love the subject, I feel like the anxiety really holds me back from enjoying the whole experience, even though you would be hard pushed to realise I have a problem. I dont drink caffeine, I drink camomile tea, exercise a lot and try relaxation techniques twice a week, but the symptoms still persist. If anyone reading this can relate, then maybe you could share your experiences and hopefully, your success in alleviating anxiety.

Charmbracelet81
08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
I will forever be someone that recommends cognitive behavioral therapy. I have been going for a year and it is helping me so much. While I am still a work in progress, I am soooooo much better than I was this time last year.

Congrats on being qualified to teach History!!! That is a positive and great acomplishment!!! :D

ciaran_p
08-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks, it was very hard work getting qualified, as if being observed wasn't nerve racking enough without GAD! Think is, I cant see how CBT would help me as there's nothing i'm particularly anxious about! My anxiety seems like a malfunctioning of my nervous system, that worsens and retreats at random (or so I think). Is CBT used for GAD?

p.s Apologies for my atheist rant yesterday, but your reply of "shrugs" seemed a bit negative and made me a little annoyed!

Charmbracelet81
08-26-2010, 07:36 PM
I like to pretend to gesture what I am saying lol. So *shrugs* just meant like, 'hey, I'm doin' what I can, what else can I say." But I can see how you would take that negative. As you can see, I move on fast from things that upset me because I really do love people and accept them all and all the views! I find it fascintaing. Thanks for your view, I do appreciate it. I really do look up to you as a teacher because I can imagine how hard that would be to be observed. I studied Children and Youth Development, but haven't done anything with my degree 'cuz of the anxiety :oops: