PDA

View Full Version : is feeling like losing touch with reality a part of anxiety

boxer
08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
A couple of minutes ago I just had a horrible panic attack because I felt like I was losing touch with reality it scared the hell out of me it took a little bit to get calmed down but I don't fully feel right yet I was wondering is that a common fear or do I have some sort of other mental illness I know this is reality but I just had a horrible thought that it couldn't be help me please

Charmbracelet81
08-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Yup, it's normal. I just told my therapist last week that I had one of those episodes where it didn't feel like reality and I felt as though I was losing control and it lead to panic. She said it's a normal part of anxiety. It scares me, because it doesn't happen that often to me, but when it does it's horrible.

Robbed
08-24-2010, 06:17 PM
What you experienced is VERY common with anxiety disorder. It is referred to as 'depersonalization', 'derealization', or 'unreality'. Oftentimes, unreality is experienced in the moments immediately before a panic attack. The fear caused by the unreality does not caue the panic attack (rather, the unreality is more of a harbinger). However, it certainly intensifies it. Other times, it is experienced on a more or less constant basis, and can make one's surroundings feel quite alien (and almost always unpleasant).

Not much can really be done about unreality specifically (although distraction can help for more long-term unreality). However, whether it is long-term or short-term, it is simply a symptom of high anxiety. It is NOT a sign of a serious mental health condition (like psychosis or schizophrenia). And it will abate and/or become less frequent (along with the panic attacks) as the anxiety disorder subsides.

Varjo
09-16-2010, 12:49 PM
It's normal. Have you ever woken up from a really bad nightmare and felt like everything was surreal afterwards for a few minutes or maybe even hours? Happened to me all the time before my anxiety. When the mind goes into the "fear zone" it sort of distances itself from the world in an attempt to make you notice where the danger is. You are looking at everything in a different way, trying to spot the danger eventhough there is none. That's the problem with anxiety, we have false feelings of danger. There is really nothing to worry about. I've been feeling out of this world for a week or so now, things seem dream like and surreal. Feels like Im tripping all the time.

Strangely enough, sometimes I enjoy the feeling eventhough it scares me. I have a friend who suffers anxiety too and she feels just as "unreal" as I do quite often, so we get to toggether and go somewhere peaceful and talk about how absurd and strange everything seems. Then we find a way to laugh about it, eventhough it's scary as hell when Im alone. Whenever I realize that I'm totally okay with feeling surreal, all of the sudden the feeling leaves me. I've realized it's just all in our mind, if we distract ourselves from it then it'll be gone.

forwells
09-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Howdy all

It is referred to as 'depersonalization', 'derealization', or 'unreality'. Oftentimes, unreality is experienced in the moments immediately before a panic attack. The fear caused by the unreality does not caue the panic attack (rather, the unreality is more of a harbinger).

What robbed said is pretty much on the money but i don't agree with that they are not the cause of many panic attacks . I still get them at odd times but because i know what they are i can just let it be and not panic . The fact the you question it and are scared because you don't know what it is you panic correct . So therefor as with any anxiety symptom if you understand it and don't worry about it them you don't panic .

This symptom i believe is solely based on the nerves being overworked and playing up from stress . There are 1000s of nerves in the ears , eyes and when these play up we get this type of feelings. But if you let it be then it will just past by.

cheers kev