PDA

View Full Version : Meditation

Amelia
08-20-2010, 02:55 PM
I've read that meditation really helps with anxiety. I would like to get into it. I must admit, it's not normally something i would actively do. I'm more science than spiritual! That being said, i'd rather do something like that than be on medication. I really want to understand what it is and how to do it. Can anybody give me a few pointers in getting started? Books, CD's, websites etc?

jusroc
08-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Jon Kabat-zinn
[/url]http://www.mindfulnesstapes.com/[url]
series 1, 2 and 3.
Books by John Kabat-zinn will give you a scientific explanation.

Amelia
08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Thank you!

TwitchGreenMachine
08-21-2010, 02:50 AM
There's actually alot of "guided meditations" on youtube...Maybe try a couple of them out and see how you like it....It can't hurt.

worrier123
08-22-2010, 05:02 PM
iv been trying to get into meditation for a while now as i to have heard it can have great affects and good for anxiety. iv done alot of reasearch and checked out a few vids on youtube but for some reason i just cant get into it. with meditation its all about letting ur mind go blank(so no thoughts) and focusing on your breathing, i find both hard to do, i cant seem to not think anything and let my mind go blank, and with the breathing i just find it hard, i also find it really uncomfortable sitting up crossed legged with a complete straight spine....by the end of it my muscles hurt more than when i started and al through it al i want to do is slouch lol. maybe im doing it wrong but iv tried alot of different ways but just cant seem to switch off or get the hang of it

hope it works for u x

TwitchGreenMachine
08-22-2010, 05:45 PM
iv been trying to get into meditation for a while now as i to have heard it can have great affects and good for anxiety. iv done alot of reasearch and checked out a few vids on youtube but for some reason i just cant get into it. with meditation its all about letting ur mind go blank(so no thoughts) and focusing on your breathing, i find both hard to do, i cant seem to not think anything and let my mind go blank, and with the breathing i just find it hard, i also find it really uncomfortable sitting up crossed legged with a complete straight spine....by the end of it my muscles hurt more than when i started and al through it al i want to do is slouch lol. maybe im doing it wrong but iv tried alot of different ways but just cant seem to switch off or get the hang of it

hope it works for u x

Try lying down..Or simply get into your most comfortable position...It's all about your own comfort.

The relaxing effects dont happen right away...It takes a few minutes for your body to relax... and then it takes a little longer until your mind clears...It's kinda like the feeling you get before you fall asleep, where nothing is on your mind but sleep. so meditation is kinda like having your whole body asleep, except your totally awake.....

If your not relaxed enough by the time youtube meditation video ends, replay it....You eventually will be.

After you learn to clear your mind through meditation, it's a skill you can use anytime you feel stressed.

:)

Amelia
08-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the advice. I also have trouble not thinking anything! I bought a guided meditation CD so i'm going to give it a try. Hopefully i will learn to empty my mind...