PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and IBS

Leafs93
08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Has anyone developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) as a result of anxiety? I suffer from GAD and over the last couple days have developed stomach issues. I am hopeful it will pass but have read that the two are linked.

Thanks

jusroc
08-17-2010, 02:58 PM
IBS is caused by stress.

However, the same symptoms ( stomach cramps, diarrhea etc.) can be caused by other conditions such as lactose intolerance, celiac disease and other allergy based disorders.

These symptoms can also be caused by laxative spiking, although this is a lot rarer.

I recommend that you do a diet journal with notes on stress levels, as this research will help you determine the likely cause and whether you need tests done at the hospital.

In the unlikely case that you suspect that you are being spiked, you can always buy some home surveillance equipment to wire up wirelessly to your computer that can track any movement your kitchen etc.

This type of equipment is relatively cheap and easy to install.

worrier123
08-17-2010, 03:28 PM
my bowls have played up a few times when iv been feeling really anxious....today for example i didnt so much get overly anxious but i got al worked up and stressed about a situation i have at home and it caused me to really need the loo if u no what i mean, and its the same if i was going on a night out or looking and looking forward and excited to something that gets your bowls moving too.....so yea its normal

x

forwells
08-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Howdy

I agree with jusroc
IBS is caused by stress and anxiety is also caused by stress .

You heard the saying having butterflies in the stomach. Feeling something in the pit of your stomach .

It ia also believed that anxitey has a relation to Serotonin in the brain , well the most Serotonin is found in the stomach .

It will pass as your relax and your stress gets less and less

cheers kev :D