PDA

View Full Version : do i suffer from anxiety attacks?

irish-chic
05-29-2006, 08:22 AM
ok well im 13 and from when i have been 10 i think ive been suffering from anxiety attacks im not sure but i want to know what you guys think.

im afraid of doctors,denists,shopping malls,school,small rooms,massive rooms filled with people and i have a huge fear of fainting. i have fainted twice with anxiety and ever sense ive been afraid to go anywhere incase i faint again. im afraid to go to school incase i get anxious and panic and make a fool of myself in front of my whole class.which has happened a number of times. i will do anything to not go to school as soon as i step into school. i want to be sick, i feel dizzy,faint,shaky and weak my mouth goes dry i cant focus in class the palms of my hands go sweaty and sometimes well most of the time i panic and run out of class. i get anxious over the most stupid things like walking to the shop or leaving my street and going places far away.I do suffer from panic attacks but do you think i suffer from anxiety attacks too.Please someone write back thanks.

B

shoe
05-29-2006, 10:47 AM
irish-chic, sure does sound like you suffer from panic attacks - which are also called anxiety attacks. Its really tough to go through, I remember middle school and high school being some of the worst times for me.

Sounds like you have social anxiety disorder, although you do mention things that are common to agoraphobia sufferers..

Have you talked to your family about this, irish-chic? They should be able to get you to a psychologist.. there's no reason for you to suffer like you do. :cry:

irish-chic
05-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Yea i do have a psychologist i go to see her twice a week.I dont think its working thought, my mum and dad said it takes time but i feel like i don't have time my summer exams are comming up and im freaking out i havent been in school but i have to do these tests and i have a LOT to catch up on and im afraid of freaking out in the middle of my class.I have been put on Procaz aswell but my psychologist wants me to go off it sense its for depression not really anixety. I try my postitive thinking and my deep breathing but i get so worked up with anxiety i can't do it i just freak out and people from school are starting to say shes not really sick shes pretending shes never well, which really gets me down. I have a classroom assitant with me to help me when i need her, so if i need a bit of air i can step out of class which does help but i am starting to get depressed now i just don't know what to do with my life :(

shoe
06-01-2006, 02:51 PM
irish-chic, sorry its so hard for ya. Wish i could tell you some magic cure, but I don't know of one. The thing that has helped *me* out are benzodiazepines (Klonopin, Xanax), but I'm not sure those are even available to kids your age.

SSRI's like Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and Effexor (actualy an SNRI) are most commonly prescribed for both anxiety and depression. They are like multi-purpose meds in that way hehe. But I've never had any good experiences with SSRI meds myself.. and for most its kind of a trial and error thing with meds.. you keep trying new ones till u find one that works (hopefully).

There are a few other classes of medications too, such as Tricyclics, MAOI's... but both of them are more risky.

You might actually ask your doctor about beta-blockers. These medications work for some people.. and can be used as-needed. It takes like 20 minutes to an hour (I think) for them to kick in. Generally its supposed to stop the physical symptoms of anxiety, but not so much the thought processes.

Also, there are herbs that can be tried.. things like Valerian Root or Passionflower. I'm still experimenting with these to see if one works for me.

Anyway, I have links to medications info resources and also herbs/supplements alternatives in the 'Resources' section, if you wanna take a look.

Hope that helps :)

vickyc
08-05-2006, 05:18 AM
Hi Irishchic

There seems to be a lot of talk about medication on this forum and think you should know that you don't have to rely totally on pills and therapy to get you through your anxiety.

I know you find it hard going out and to places where there are people, so perhaps you could get yourself a DVD of how to do yoga or tai chi if you can't face going to a class.

I've suffered with crippling anxiety for several years and sometimes it's really bad and sometimes it's not so bad. If you manage to find a way to really truly relax and turn off the anxiety even for 20 minutes or half an hour, it recharges your batteries and gives you strength.

Yoga's lovely because it allows you to disconnect from the anxiety about every day things for a little while. It takes practice but I always feel a bit better after a yoga session or class.

Best of luck. Vicky x ;)