PDA

View Full Version : New to the room

athlete522
05-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi I'm new and happy I found a place to chat. I've always been an anxious person but for the last couple of years it has been debilitating. I've been in therapy and on medication for the last year. I'm a full-time college student and used to work but I haven't been able to for about the last year. I've had a few sunny days were I think everything is going to be all right but for the most part I feel like I'm going crazy! I can't keep a job much less interview for one, going out by myself is a big no no, and being in school stresses me out beyond belief. I do extremely well in school and want to transfer next fall but I'm afraid that my anxiety will keep me from doing anything! I'd love to hear anything that anyone has for advice or uplifting stories of thier own progress. Thank you all so much!

shoe
05-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Well, for me medication has been very helpful in dealing with going to college and other things. I'm still not good at socializing, but thats partly because I haven't had much experience with it other than online... so basically I keep to myself. But at least I can deal with things without having panic attacks :)

Has your therapy and medications helped you any?

athlete522
05-29-2006, 09:54 AM
It has helped. I feel like I've made progress, but not enough so I feel like me again, or enough progress that I can go about living a normal life. Now I can do simple things go to a store by myself, drive, be at home alone without my boyfriend, but I still can't do a lot. I still constantly worry about everything it consumes me. Could it be that maybe the medication I'm on isn't right?

shoe
05-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I can't tell you if the medication isn't right. I do see that benzodiazepines are frequently prescribed for GAD, but you didn't say what you are taking.

In one of my books on abormal psychology, they mention a treatment they term "worry control treatment" which includes cognitive therapy (identifying and altering false & negative thinking), 'worry exposure' (facing your worries by picturing your concerns happening) and 'worry behavior prevention' (stopping behavior which contributes to the validitation of your worries). It also involves keeping a daily record of your worries, what they pertain to, how you feel during worrying, and writing down possible alternative outcomes that may be more realistic.

Have you tried reading any self-help books, athlete? There are some pretty good ones out there, at least from what I hear hehe.

athlete522
05-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm on zoloft. Yes, I do have an Anxiety and Phobia workbook by Bourne I believe. I've never tried wrting down my worries or what I'm actually thinking about and feeling while worrying. That is something I'll try. I just don't want this to stop me from doing all that I want, and I don't want it to stop my boyfriend from doing all he wants also.

shoe
05-31-2006, 08:03 AM
I think its probably best not to think you are holding your bf back from doing what he wants.. I mean, he is his own person right?

You know, I have that anxiety workbook too, but have never given it an honest try. I feel like I need group therapy more than anything though.