PDA

View Full Version : Need help explaining anxiety to partner!!

corazon9
08-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm a 28 year old female with mild anxiety and obsessive thoughts ... I do take medications to help with anxiety, and normally they work great, but of course, they're not foolproof!

So - I'm a very sensitive person and react to things more severely than the average person... my problem is that I'm not straightforward with how I feel. In the past, this has been an issue in my relationships because I start obsessing if everything's "Ok." It keeps going over and over in my head, What if they don't want to deal with me anymore, do they still love me, and I hyperanalyze their behaviours toward me. Are they acting distant - why did they say that? Why are they acting so flippant??
Because I'm so worked up about everything being "ok" - it puts my partner on edge and then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy - my partner gets frustrated and we're not ok!
My boyfriend is trying hard to understand me, but I have a hard time articulating my anxieties and obsessive thoughts. I DON'T know why I get stuck on this, I don't know how to stop myself and just accept his word for it that everything's fine and he loves me.

I am really scared that I can't gain control of my feelings and that it will negatively affect my relationship again. :(

Any tips/advice??