PDA

View Full Version : stuttering

Kyle
07-13-2005, 03:52 PM
I thought I'd share my past issues with stuttering so others could see and learn.

I never had an extreme stuttering problem, must people who didnt know me couldnt even notice. Of course there were occassional spikes, but nothing like the occasional characters you see in movies.

Over the years, I started to figure out what made my stuttering worse, as well as what made it better. Generall, I would stutter when in a social group where people woudl talk about bullshit. I cannot stand talking about random arbitrary garbage like... "So, how's school? How's work? Oh ya, how are the kids? Thats great! etc. etc." The general bullshit conversation that appears amongst people who dont know eachtoher. This is when I would stutter the most.

Whenever I was in a situation where we were talking about interesting or important things, I would never stutter. This includes debates, or even speeches in front of a crowd of people. Generally, you would think I would stutter the most in these situations, but that wasn't the case.

I'm 24 now, and hardly ever stutter. I would say I stutter as much as most people, when I'm tired or out of breath, etc.

If anyone has a stuttering problem, try to focus on talking about things that interest you. Don't get yourself into awkward social situations with punk ass bitches who just like to talk to talk. Sorry if i have a bad attitude towards "random talkers". :)

desperateDave
07-18-2005, 01:20 PM
i stutter and jumble words together, it doesnt seem to matter what the conversation is about and i can never really think clear enough to talk about seomthing im interested in anyway. actually, the 'BS' you talk about is what im most comfortable with because its short and sweet and easy to do, not much thought goes into it. i hope that wouldnt make me a punk ass bitch to you :?

klb
08-12-2005, 06:17 PM
i. actually, the 'BS' you talk about is what im most comfortable with because its short and sweet and easy to do, not much thought goes into it. i hope that wouldnt make me a punk ass bitch to you :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

brickyard_red
09-14-2005, 08:42 AM
I don't know how much I stutter, I know I do sometimes when I'm real nervous, but it's not that bad of a problem for me. What starts the whole problem for me is knowing that I'm eventually going to have to talk to someone and not knowing what to say or not knowing what in the world they're talking about! Then I start to panic because I'm afraid I'm going to look like an idiot in front of everyone. So, when the time comes that I actually am talking to someone, my heart is racing and my head is thinking a hundred miles in front of where my mouth is and all my words come out in a jumbled confusing mess! I mean, I can get my point across, but there is alot of stumbling over words, mixing like two words together somehow and making a word that doesn't exist.

And then there are the times that someone will ask me a question and I panic and everything just flies right out of my brain! Then I just stand there with a stupid expression on my face trying to get something to come out that might make a little bit of sense!

And that is why I usually hide behind my husband and let him do the talking and just stand there and listen most of the time. Now, I'm not like this with people who really know me and that I know aren't going to make fun of me or hurt me, just people that I KIND OF know or DON'T know at all.

Cath