PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

fut125
08-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Had posted this in the welcome area without much feedback so posting here as well.

I had anxiety issues that were diagnosed 5 to 6 years ago. I had anxiety when I was younger but it was not diagnosed. 5 years ago several things went bad in my personal life...son had a seizure..I had an acl tear...etc etc .. I then thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and they admitted me to the telemetry floor. While there they first diagnosed me with a blocked artery. I am currently 37 and was 32 then. They then realized it was a false positive and kept me there for 3 days checking everything to be sure. They then released me and said it was anxiety. I started on Lexapro and it seemed to work. I went off Lexapro and then back on 3 years ago as I was having anxiety again. I went off in Decemeber and was doing well aside from low level anxiety. Then 3 weeks ago had a panic attack. At least I hope it was a panic attack.. I had a racing heart felt foddy and had major fear and jitters. Felt as if I may pass out. I almost stopped a cop to bring me to the hospital. I drove home and paced...as that is my normal routine...Then I asked for re assurance from my friends and brothers which I always have done in the past. They all said sounded like everything that has happened for me in the past. I then continued to have some anxiety from that point on and today it was worse when I found out a friend died from a stroke today...he was 52 a smoker and he drank...but immediately I had increased anxiety and had the thoughts of hey maybe that is what is happening to me and that I should go to a doctor because they were wrong.....

I called my brother who is a PA and my mom who is a psycologist and they both said sounds like anxiety and most of me believes that then part of me thinks what if........and then it just spirals from there. My brother and mother do not think I should go to a doctor and think I should see a psycologist to discuss since I was already diagnosed with anxiety

Does anyone else have extended periods of anxiety with physical symptoms like chest tightness(not severe) tingly hands, lump in the throat, soft cough because you feel you have too, and foggy head ?

Should I go back on Lexapro?

WHy if I mostly know it is the same cycle and had a full cardiac work up 5 years ago I am in decent shape(ride my bike swim play soccer when not anxious) do I still question my health to the degree that I get anxious?

My symptoms almost disappear at night after work and when I am just hanging out..does that happen to anyone?

Thanks

butterflyrepellent
08-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't have panic attacks. But I do get anxiety pretty consistently when I'm not eating healthy. I am no doctor, but I have spent quite a bit of time on my health and nutrition. Whenever I consistently work out and eat healthy (meat, fruit, veggies, eggs, anything you think a caveman would eat, nothing processed), I feel so much better about life and anxiety seems to diminish. Also, since you feel fine after work and when "hanging out", maybe your job is too stressful and you need to find something else that you love doing??? Eating as a caveman, it's hard, especially at first but totally worth it. Finding another career doing what you love to do (if you're not already) is hard as well, but totally worth it. Good luck! I really do hope for your peace of mind and full recovery.

ThePhoenix
08-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Had posted this in the welcome area without much feedback so posting here as well.

I had anxiety issues that were diagnosed 5 to 6 years ago. I had anxiety when I was younger but it was not diagnosed. 5 years ago several things went bad in my personal life...son had a seizure..I had an acl tear...etc etc .. I then thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the hospital and they admitted me to the telemetry floor. While there they first diagnosed me with a blocked artery. I am currently 37 and was 32 then. They then realized it was a false positive and kept me there for 3 days checking everything to be sure. They then released me and said it was anxiety. I started on Lexapro and it seemed to work. I went off Lexapro and then back on 3 years ago as I was having anxiety again. I went off in Decemeber and was doing well aside from low level anxiety. Then 3 weeks ago had a panic attack. At least I hope it was a panic attack.. I had a racing heart felt foddy and had major fear and jitters. Felt as if I may pass out. I almost stopped a cop to bring me to the hospital. I drove home and paced...as that is my normal routine...Then I asked for re assurance from my friends and brothers which I always have done in the past. They all said sounded like everything that has happened for me in the past. I then continued to have some anxiety from that point on and today it was worse when I found out a friend died from a stroke today...he was 52 a smoker and he drank...but immediately I had increased anxiety and had the thoughts of hey maybe that is what is happening to me and that I should go to a doctor because they were wrong.....

I called my brother who is a PA and my mom who is a psycologist and they both said sounds like anxiety and most of me believes that then part of me thinks what if........and then it just spirals from there. My brother and mother do not think I should go to a doctor and think I should see a psycologist to discuss since I was already diagnosed with anxiety

Does anyone else have extended periods of anxiety with physical symptoms like chest tightness(not severe) tingly hands, lump in the throat, soft cough because you feel you have too, and foggy head ?

Should I go back on Lexapro?

WHy if I mostly know it is the same cycle and had a full cardiac work up 5 years ago I am in decent shape(ride my bike swim play soccer when not anxious) do I still question my health to the degree that I get anxious?

My symptoms almost disappear at night after work and when I am just hanging out..does that happen to anyone?

Thanks

Hi,

I have two trains of thought, I honestly think its a panic attack. It doesnt sound anything like a heart attack at all and I am sure you will be fine. However, If you dont think you can move past that fear there is no harm in getting checked over again but I am sure they will find nothing. :D

I understand your friends stroke can scare you but like you said, if he smokes and drinks there are two major risk factors right there!

The what if thinking is a real problem, I am guilty of it too! And once you open that door it can be a real hard one to close again because what if thinking is always worst case!

The symptoms you mention are all anxiety caused, I have had them all and il bet most have. They are nothing to worry about and wont hurt you. The fact that they dissappear should also be a major clue that they are brought on by stress!

Its funny how you say despite living healthy we still get anxious about health, I am the same. I eat well, exercise 5 days a week and yet still get freaked out about health! Its laughable really yet we do it!

nervousbutterflies
08-06-2010, 07:16 PM
That happens to me all of the time! i will be perfectly fine for a couple of months or weeks and then BAM! Im a nervous wreck just thinking about all the negative things and constantly feeling sick to my stomach, shortness of breath etc. I am on medication but i feel like no medicine will ever work. It is definately better to try to handle it on your own for a while unless it gets unbearable. Medicine is just a bandaid and your anxiety will always come back once your off! :( i think so at least :(