PDA

View Full Version : Tense sore shoulders?

shoe
05-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Just curious how many others get really tense and sore around their shoulders? I find I'm like this alot when I'm in anxiety producing situations (mainly around people)

I try to 'palpate' my shoulders (when I remember), which helps to alleviate some pain & tightness for a while but I keep having to do this a couple times a day it seems.

Oh, about palpating.. I learned about it through the 'Heal Thyself' series on www.bodymindresources.com (http://www.bodymindresources.com) - which seems to be a nonfunctioning site now :( Well, theres always the backup through the 'Wayback' machine.. http://web.archive.org/web/20040924020614/bodymindresources.com/

Anyway, you just press on the really tight sore spots firmly for however long it takes for them to 'release' and loosen up, which hurts at first but feels much better when its softened up.

I try not to do this when other people are around because someone will look at me or ask what I'm doing hehe.. but then I'm all sore and cranky if I don't finish.

Actually, it seems to make my anxiety worse the more stiff or tense I feel. Can anyone relate?

thedarkness
05-31-2006, 09:07 AM
my shoulders are always tense. i think one of the vertebre in my neck is permanently out of place... but i notice on the occasions i drink alcohol, it makes my shoulders relaxed, and im so surprised at the difference... makes me realize how tense my shoulders always are
i dont do that palpatingthing...

shoe
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
doh, thats not good. Have you tried seeing a chiropractor about the neck problem?

I notice that when I take benzodiazepines my shoulders don't get tense as much or as often, but it still creeps in now and then.

thedarkness
06-01-2006, 01:03 PM
ive never been on the benzeh... however its spelled...
i have found that catnip calms my anxiety for the most part, and st johns wort regulates my moods...

i avoid doctors for the most part... partly lack of money and partly from not feeling like i am bad enough off to go to one

but yea my back and neck are always killing me. sometimes i will go yoga style and stretch out every muscle in my body. feels good.

shoe
06-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Benzos are considered mild tranquilizers, as well as muscle relaxants. They work great for me, but I'm not recommending you take them, was just saying they helped with my muscle tension/soreness.

I've never heard of catnip being used as an herb.. thats kinda funny that it would calm you, cuz I remember cats spazzing out when they get a whiff of that stuff hehe.

Stretching and exercise are actually great ideas for relieving tension as well as improving your mood and building a bit more confidence, plus other things. I try to do cardio 4-5 times a week, with some stretching exercises mixed in. I know it helps me out, but still I get the darn shoulder cramps at work. I should probably do it in the morning though.. that might reduce these problems (rather than doing it *after* work)

thedarkness
06-01-2006, 10:15 PM
yes, catnip is used as an herb for relaxation.
i brew it as tea, with half catnip half regular tea. at firs the smell can be yukky, but really i like it now. the smell itself is almost enough to calm me. the combination of the calming of the catnip and the alertness of the caffiene is interesting as well.

last summer i really got into yoga and everything, but i have kinda lost interest in it. the only thing i really gained from it was a few poses that stretch muscles i otherwise couldnt figure out how to.

plus the ability to not feel too embarrased when someone enters the room and im in a weird position, like laying on my back with my toes above my head... unless of course the someone is someone not in my family