PDA

View Full Version : Questions about anxiety

dark_inferno_22
07-15-2010, 12:13 AM
I have a few questions about anxiety, more or less I'm curious on if it's affecting me like I think it is:

--Background Info: Today I started taking Citalopram (Celexa) as the doctor told me to start on it after 3 days of using the Xanax. So right now I'm just taking Celexa and well Prilosec OTC for heartburn.

1. I have trouble falling asleep at nights, could this be due to my anxiety or depression or both? I try not to worry about things at nights so I listen to music, play games, watch movies what not. I usually get up at about 8:30 9:00, even though I fall asleep about 4:00.

2. Work, I work in a call center - happily too some days - and I worry if I have a panic attack/anxiety attack I won't be able to take/handle a call as I'll be freaking about my breathing. The Xanax work, but take 30 min. to kick in and doctor says to take 1/2 every 8 hours as needed. I haven't been to work in 4 weeks due to my anxiety (past 3 1/2 weeks doctors thought it was an ulcer). Should I look for a different job until I can get my anxiety under control?

3. I've read that some of you guys just burst into tears, this has been happening to me too, over nothing, I just feel bad about not going to work, or just not even thinking burst into tears. When I'm having an anxiety attack it seems to help to cry, why is that?

4. I love coffee, coffee is my life, I don't like decaf though - I haven't drank coffee in weeks, how can I drink coffee without propagating an anxiety attack?

You guys seem really great here, I'm glad I found this forum cause I want to be strong through this, and help others that have anxiety.

Thanks everyone!

Captain Deep Breath
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
That coffee question is a good one...

Ever since i've learned that caffeine was bad for anxiety i haven't been able to drink it without feeling anxious. However, i used to drink tons of caffeine without problem. Your mind can play tricks on you like that. You'll have to convince yourself that caffeine isn't your problem somehow.

dark_inferno_22
07-15-2010, 12:18 PM
That coffee question is a good one...

Ever since i've learned that caffeine was bad for anxiety i haven't been able to drink it without feeling anxious. However, i used to drink tons of caffeine without problem. Your mind can play tricks on you like that. You'll have to convince yourself that caffeine isn't your problem somehow.

True, I'm going to have to try to drink some coffee tomorrow before I take anything.
I'm missing work again today, anxiety is controlling me.

forwells
07-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Howdy dark_inferno_22 :)

Ok let see if i can help a bit

Your Celexa that you have started will most likely cause side effects of some sort , so if you get a huge increase in symptoms then go and see your doctor about it . These drugs are very hit and miss and either help or increase the problem .

Your sleep could be these drugs , has it been since you started them? If not yes anxiety and depression will do it . There are only two things that stop us from sleep other than drugs that is and they are pain or worry . Sleep is a natural thing and will happen in its own time so dont worry there .

2. Work, I work in a call center - happily too some days - and I worry if I have a panic attack/anxiety attack I won't be able to take/handle a call as I'll be freaking about my breathing. The Xanax work, but take 30 min. to kick in and doctor says to take 1/2 every 8 hours as needed. I haven't been to work in 4 weeks due to my anxiety (past 3 1/2 weeks doctors thought it was an ulcer). Should I look for a different job until I can get my anxiety under control?

Oh the curse of anxiety the WHAT IFs . Ok change nothing and run from nothing . Anxiety is like the neighbour hood mad dog the more you run the more it will chase you and keep nipping at you . Whats the worst that will happen you will have to excuse Yourself and go to the bathroom for a sec . Anxiety will not hurt you it just tricks you into thinking that it will.

These Xanax are nasty little drugs and your doctor is wrong telling you to take them every 8 hours . They are very addictive and are for very short term use of a couple of weeks and no more . Yes they are a good drugs and work well but do not abuse them . Use only when needed and always have a break from them . Let them get out of your system at times .

. I've read that some of you guys just burst into tears, this has been happening to me too, over nothing, I just feel bad about not going to work, or just not even thinking burst into tears. When I'm having an anxiety attack it seems to help to cry, why is that?

Ok this is normal . Just think of all the shit you are dealing with . Anxiety effects the emotions and you feel things more . It is not a bad thing and feels good to let it out as it will cause more anxiety to hold it in . Letting it out is our bodies way of dealing with it .
At my worst 2 xmases ago i sat on the coach and cried all day , i did not stop . Now may get it for 20 seconds onces a week .

4. I love coffee, coffee is my life, I don't like decaf though - I haven't drank coffee in weeks, how can I drink coffee without propagating an anxiety attack?
Ok this is a psysical problem and a mental one . Anxiety increase the bodies reaction to things and coffee revs us up at the best of times , So when we are anxious it will have a effect on the body . Try somethings else for now untill your body settles . I don't like decaf
Try it as i tell my kids you get use to everything , its the thinking behind this that is the problem . You feel like your coffee has been taking from you and the decafe is not a good replacement . Its like anything the more you try the more you get to like .
I went from 14 cups a day to none and only drink dandelion tea now which tastes a bit like weak coffee . I tried a cup of coffeee about 6 months ago and cant believe i drank that bitter sh&* for so long . No wonder i had two sugars in it :D

Ok quick follow up
Anixety is caused by your reaction to those symptoms you had at the start , it is caused by your fear towards them because you dont understand them . It is also caused by your body and its reaction to things because it is in a high state . Anxiety can be repaired , you can get over anxiety and live a happy life but you need to face it and lean about it . You also need to do things to reduce the stress in your body and life . Such as addressing diet , looking at drugs and drink you may take and learning to relax with things lke distraction of thoughts and mediation . That pill from the doctor may stop it but it will not cure it and the only thing that will is to address how you got there and your reaction to it .

Try to get Dr Weekes books and also a great site that saved me was anxietycenter.com

cheers and hope that helps kev :D