PDA

View Full Version : Does anxiety pose any health risks?

panicsucks
07-05-2010, 01:55 AM
hi guys

i was just thinking (bad idea there!) if anxeity can cause any illnesses or if it is a totally harmless bodily reaction?

my main concern like many is anxietys effect on the heart obviously with panic disorder the heart is going quicker some or most of the time will it cause any heart problems? im looking online for anything anxiety can cause and the most i can see is palputations which is considered harmless?

are there any health risks?

RabidBadger
07-05-2010, 06:23 PM
There is nothing dangerous about speeding up the heart every now and then. You can achieve the same thing by having a game of squash, jogging round the block, or training in the gym - all of which are encouraged.

There is absolutely no link between anxiety and conditions that are damaging to the heart.

If your heart is already diseased, then yes anxiety can have adverse effects - but it doesn't lead to disease of a healthy heart.

alex1993
07-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Definately not. Think about it, people run marathons! Their heart is going for hours, and they're fine.

I'm afraid that anxiety is going to have any mental risks. I'm afraid that the stress is going to trigger shiz (because I'm afraid of it) or that I have convinced myself that I'm going to develop it so much that my brain will actually follow my thoughts and make me schiz.

RabidBadger
07-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Again, schizophrenia is a form of psychosis and is not the same as anxiety - nor is there much evidence to suggest that anxiety might ever lead to schizophrenia.

The big difference in my view is the fact that schizophrenics tend to have absolute conviction that their distorted thoughts are real - whereas anxiety sufferers who succumb to scary thoughts are still able to question them, rationalise them, and even be appalled by them.

KarenJetto
07-15-2010, 11:51 AM
an extreme level of anxiety may cause the person to have sexual disorder and depression.Since anxiety creates disturbed minds, the effects of it may be restlessness, irritability and sleep disturbances or insomnia in some cases.