PDA

View Full Version : Might seem common, but...relationship anxiety. Advice?

geekgirl
06-21-2010, 03:37 PM
First off, I have a history of anxiety. I'm 21 now, and it started when I went through puberty, then died off, then just recently, within the past 6 months, it flared up again. My doctor has be on Lorazepam just for use during panic attacks. Within the past week and a half, the anxiety's petered off for the most part. I've got 18 out of the 20 pills left.

I just started a relationship with a HECK of a guy. He's sweet, caring, incredibly polite, gentle, loves my parents...he's as close to perfect as heaven will allow. He lives about 2 and a half hours away for the time being, which sucks. But soon, he's moving closer to me.

I met him Saturday, for the first time, and what a weekend. It was incredible. We've got so much in common, we're both Christian, geeks, and just...hopeless romantics.

Suddenly, today at work, my semi-dormant anxiety flared up, and started eating away at me. My mind raced with thoughts of him with another woman (he's my first real relationship, he's had several others, since he's older), and that maybe I'm not the only one. Maybe he's moving to <insert city> to be closer to another woman!

You need to understand, this man has openly told me he loves the heck out of me, and he wants to spend the rest of our lives together. And just today, he texted me and told me he might have a job, 10 minutes away from me! Why the heck is my mind playing at my emotions like this? Before I was having anxiety for anxiety's sake. Is my anxiety just pinning itself on something in particular now? Is my low self esteem the cause?

forwells
06-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi geekgirl

Before I was having anxiety for anxiety's sake. Is my anxiety just pinning itself on something in particular now? Is my low self esteem the cause?

Hmmm You may think that anxiety was just over anxiety but i would diagree . I dont believe that anyone can have a panic attack if they are not scared of it . See i had panic attack but the minute i knew why they were there i never had another one . I had high symptoms but never feed into a panic attack again .

Your panic is caused by stress , stress causes symptoms of anxiety and then you react to them with fear , this fear feeds and is a start of a panic attack . No fear no panic .

I do understand about the being fearful of anxiety but if you learn to understand it and how it comes about and how it can be stopped , yes stopped not just drugged or lived with but stopped then you start to let it pass and your system will settle down and all these silly things you are worrying about will stop ( not having ago at you , i was the same :D )

The reason you see it more now is yes because you see someting that is increasing it but do not be fooled it is not causing it. Your stressed out system is the cause and your reaction is a symptom.

If you are questioning your low self esteem then yes i believe that it is playing a part in it . Why are you questioning this other than being young . Give you a tip . Everyone questions themselves and low self esteem has to be built and worked on . So maybe it is something you could look at .

cheers kev :)

geekgirl
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks a lot, forwells. =] I'm going to work on myself, and realize that I am worth it.

geekgirl
06-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Bump. I could use some more advice, if anyone's experienced this before.