PDA

View Full Version : Success in CBT

Charmbracelet81
06-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Anyone else in CBT that is reaping the benefits from it? I am curious to hear the different techniques our therapists have used/how far people have come, ect. ;)

forwells
06-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi Charmbracelet81 :)

As someone who use to not believe in CBT .

I am now starting to understand it a bit better . See the problem was i thought ever one thought like i did and i couldnt see how CBT could work . I see now that some people do think the wrong way all the time .

See i think like the way people are taught in CBT , I refuse to give up and fight everything to the death . I refuse to tell myself i am stuck with something and the control of it is out of my control . Everything in my mind is within my control . I think this is something i picked up growing up and some people dont.

I could be wrong but is this what CBT is ?

CBT just dosent work on me because when someone says something to me i often think "why are you telling me what i know already ". I think my biggest problem is the fact that i do it to much . Eg the fighting to the death , i need to learn to chill and take things as they come sometimes instead of pushing myself . I think i put to much pressure on myself at times . Many people tell me this and i am trying to change it but its a hard thing to change. This in itself causes me stress.

cheers kev :)

Charmbracelet81
06-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah, same here. I always strive to be everything to everyone, have a tidy house, ect. I stress how BAD when I am behind on anything or feel I have let someone down.

palow
06-22-2010, 08:46 PM
I haven't gone through CBT and I've had no luck finding someone who has gone through it except you, CB81, but I've done a lot of research on it for my website.

I went through many online city directories and some have very good descriptions of their practice. CBT is something any mental health practitioner can get a certification in. The majority of them offered it along with marriage counselling, grief counselling and psychoanalysis.

I noticed a very different tone in the directory descriptions by CB therapists specializing in anxiety. Those therapists would advertise therapy for specific anxiety disorders like OCD, PTSD, panic and generalized anxiety. One or two even mentioned what kind of CBT they are using! For anxiety, the big thing for CBT nowadays is called Third Generation or Third Wave CBT. You can Google that yourself but I'm not sure if most CB therapists even know or care about Third Gen CBT.

Patrick