PDA

View Full Version : Coping Strategies

Swizzle
06-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi, I was wondering what kind of coping strategies people use to lessen or overcoming their anxiety. I've been told that breathing exercises and yoga help, has anyone done anything like this and found that it's worked?

Any other tips on ways to reduce anxiety before going into busy public places would be great too.

Charmbracelet81
06-20-2010, 02:53 PM
I am in CBT and have learned alot of coping techniques. It's true that breathing is on the top. How we anxious people breathe is from the top of our chest. Research "belly breathing for anxiety." My therapist said if she could spend only a few minutes with a patient she would teach them belly breathing. It works very well for me. The way we breath raises adreniline and adds highly to the anxiety and panic.

Before going to a public place that you already know causes your anxiety, first tell yourself, "I feel anxious and that's ok to be anxious." When you have a bad thought let it come and then look at the facts, of what REALLY is happening around you, because the thoughts and real life are two different things. Practice the breathing at the sametime. It takes practice, but it is worth it.

timm
06-23-2010, 12:19 AM
I am constantly looking for ways to cope.

Breathing exercises used to help, but now when I do them, I almost immediately warp into panic mode. They say the breathing exercises trick your body, but, the problem is, your brain conditions itself over time, and gets wise to the fact that you are trying to trick it.

I just let the waves of panic come now. I just tell myself, "It's ok. It's going to be ok." And try not to poop my pants. It's hell and it never gets better.

For me, trying to calm myself out of a panic attack is like trying to talk a cardiac patient out of a stroke.

The one thing I can think of that helps a wee bit is not getting ahead of myself. When I start worrying about step 6, I remind myself that I'm not there yet. I'm only at step 2. My brain sees that as a logical argument, and goes, "OK, you win for the next 15 minutes, but just wait until you see the hell I'm going to put you through once you get to step 5." (insert evil laugh)

nerolp
07-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm also interesting in learning some techniques for anxiety. The breathing technique sounds like it would be really helpful, because I would think you can actually change your heart rate and thus be much calmer if you steady your breathing.

I work out a lot, which really helps with anxiety, because it releases endorphins. As far as a technique to bring your anxiety level down when you are in the middle of it, I try to stop thinking negatively and then analyze what's going through my head. For example, if you think people are staring at you, you want to ask yourself "okay so what if they are? what's the worst thing that could happen? nothing." Then it's easier to realize that the though was irrational in the first place. This is something I learned from a cognitive behavioral therapy book.

sashee7
07-27-2010, 07:44 AM
positive visulisation is a great help.
dont dwell on the negative before heading into a bad situation just think "wow im going to do really well hear... lets go".

it might help u a little bit..
sashee