PDA

View Full Version : Generic Paxil Help!

acleme1
04-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Hello all. I am in need of some opinions, personal experience, or support this morning. I have had anxiety and panic for about 10 years. I am now 31. I've been taking Paxil for 8 of those ten years, with excellent results. Recently though, my doctor switched me to a new (different manufacturer) generic paxil (40mg/day), and it feels like it's not working. Here I am again...struggling with anxiety and panic - barely able to go to work - worried about everything - everything seems overwhelming - you know...the usual. Has anyone here had a bad experience with generic paxil? I've been taking this new stuff for about 2 weeks now. Any input or help would be much appreciated. Last thing...I recently had a pretty bad sinus/upper respiritory thing going on, and took a few different kinds of sinus medicine + nyquil. Do you think that taking these other medications might have interfered with my Paxil? thanks again, aaron.

shoe
04-18-2006, 10:47 AM
acleme1,

The generics are supposedly equivalent to the brand name versions of the same medication, but there are some people that disagree with this, and at least one website argues that there is a difference:

http://crazymeds.org/BvsG.html

AT the same time, there are numerous other sites arguing that there are no real efficacy differences. See the 'Brand Name vs Generic Drug Alternatives' section in my Medications resource:

http://www.mentalhealthdiscussion.com/forum/about114.html

Also, there could be Drug Interaction issues as well. Check on that same page the 'Drug Interactions & Safety' section (right above the Brand vs Generic section).

And who knows, getting sick in itself can cause anxiety to get worse. Something to think about I guess.

hope that helps
shoe

jen44
04-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi Aaron

From what i know, you aren't supposed to take any kind of decongestant when you are taking SSRI's (Paxil included). This is dangerous, see your doctor about that to be sure.