PDA

View Full Version : Job ridiculousness

aporeo
06-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi everyone...

I have had a fear of any kind of public speaking since I was in elementary school (I'm 41 now). Thanks to years of medication and therapy, I've gotten to the point where I can speak up in meetings at work. I still hate it, but I can usually get through it. My boss knows I have a problem with public speaking, and she's always pushing me to do more. I've had to endure giving a couple of small presentations that she wanted me to do--they were not really related to my job, but she thinks she's helping me this way. I've told her I don't think it's helping at all, but she's sure she's right.

At a staff meeting the other day, she announced that I would be teaching an adult education workshop for our community in September. That was the first I knew of that. There is just no way I can do it. All I can think to do now is tell her that if my job is now going to require that I give presentations/do public speaking, I will need to resign, and she can find someone more suitable. There are plenty of other reasons why I would like to leave this job, and I could probably afford to, but I'm afraid the stress of not having a job might be worse. Or, maybe it will be just the kick I need to finally take action. I'm also angry that she did this without talking to me, and don't want to work with a boss I cannot trust. I suppose another option is that I try to find some way to deal with it, but I feel so worn out. And I don't understand why it's so important that I do it anyway; I do find ways to contribute above and beyond my job. I don't understand why this particular thing is so very important.

I don't think there's really a question in there--I just needed to get it out. But if anyone has thoughts about any of this I'd be glad to hear them. I'm sure my perception of the problem is warped.

mamascrazy1985
06-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Ur boss sounds like a real jerk. I hate when some one pushes me into doing something I don't want or like to do. That's why I don't mork I have a issue with authority figures. Not cops or anything I've never been in trouble but its just something about some one pushing me into doing crap and I hate it. I think u should just tell your boss how you feel and if she doesn't like it oh well because you said if she does Make you do it u were going to quit anyway. I have problems with public speaking too but when the time comes where I have to. Best of luck