PDA

View Full Version : Having interview problems

rangrang
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi I have gotten a lot of interviews, but everytime I have failed to get the job. I feel that I am answering all of the questions right and have conversed with other people that agreed that they were good responses.

I feel that my anxiety is making me not get any jobs. I asked one interviewer how I could improve myself and he told me that I should not be so nervous... I am wondering what I should do and whether I should be disclosing my anxiety problem prior to the interview?

Thanks

timm
06-03-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm sorry you're not having much luck with the interviews - how frustrating and demoralizing! I personally would not disclose anxiety problems, or anything else of a personal nature if it's not pertinent to the job.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the feedback of one interviewer.

aporeo
06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Oh gosh...I've been on both sides of interviews now, and I think it's completely normal to be nervous, I've never known anyone who isn't. And I'd also say not to worry too much about that one person's feedback. Maybe it was just the easiest thing for him to say, rather than take the time to give you well-thought-out feedback. If you think it might really be a reason, you might look up a book on interviewing, there's usually something about body language...if you are avoiding eye contact, or if you have a defensive posture when sitting and talking, you could focus on fixing those things and it would make a big difference.

It is a tough time to be searching for jobs. But it's great that you are getting interviews!

Social Anxiety Solutions
06-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi rangrang,

Most interviewers expect you to be a bit nervous. MOST people are! So accept that you are and be OK with it. I know that's easier said than done, but the below advice will help you with this. Being upfront directly by saying "I have a condition; I have social anxiety (disorder)" is not a smart idea in my opinion. Saying "I'm a bit nervous" will not so much of a problem.

If they ask you why you can simply say that you're eager to get this job if it's really as great as it appears.

Some quick and easy tips for being more comfortable:

Aporeo already mentioned body language.. What you can do is breath deeply. When we're anxious we tend to breath more shallow and frequent. So before the interview, take some deep breaths and during the interview be breathing deeply once you notice yourself being anxious. Aside from that, sit upright in a confident manner. So raise your chest a little, spread out and take up some space (not too much of course). And talk slowly. Too fast talking can come of as nervousness.

For eye contact you can look just above their eyes if you find direct eye contact uncomfortable. They won't notice this. And once you introduce yourself, SMILE! Even if you have to fake it. A smile means I accept you and I accept myself. That's a good start...

Then aside from those body language thingies that all help a tiny little bit, prior and during the interview you want to use some 'anxiety in the moment techniques' that are super simple yet effective to release your anxiety. I have 2 free videos and PDF's for you once you subscribe to my newsletter on my site (under FREE STUFF).

Aside from all of that, know your strengths and prepare your answers and have a few questions for them as well. Where you will be working, how many holidays, oppertunities to grow further in the company etc. That way you come of interested and not deperate since you want to know some things of them as well.

Good luck rangrang :-)

Hope that helps,
Sebastiaan