PDA

View Full Version : HARD TO HOLD CONVERSATIONS WITH PEOPLE

cskrone
05-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I have been under a ton of stress lately and on top of this I burned my palm on a hot pan (minor kitchen burn) and the nerves were shocked and I'm CONSTANTLY focusing on this injury. Doctors tell me that it's a VERY common thing to grab a hot plate/pan and that feeling and everything should have come back months ago (I did this in February).

EVER SINCE, it has been very difficult for me to hold a proper conversation with people and holding a conversation and connection with people is the MAIN part of my job. It seems like this burn perpetuating something that just made it much harder for me to hold a conversation and connect with people. My only explanation is that I'm focusing SO much on my hand that it's keeping me from normal interactions with people.

Need some advice on this. Picking up a hot pan for 1-2 seconds and putting it down cannot disrupt brain chemistry in and of itself but the STRESS and ANXIETY as a result of the burn could be what's causing it.

Any advice would greatly help!

palow
05-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Keep establishing eye contact.

Your anxiety can only occur when your thoughts go back to YOURSELF. So keep re-focusing on the other person. Keep asking yourself what this person's needs are and concentrate on how you will fulfill those needs.

If you're distracted and you think you're making a fool of yourself, that's your thoughts going back to yourself. Refocus on the other person. You can just say, Sorry I've got a bad headache. What was I saying again?

Don't talk about your hand! If someone notices, make it an entertaining story.

People are very forgiving. If you meet a bastard, get out of the situation immediately and talk to someone nice immediately to recover.

Your confidence has been shaken that's all. All you need are 3 or 4 good conversations and you're back on track. Buck up, man. You'll be fine in no time.

If the problem persists, you'll need to get an anxiety treatment programme. You can look them up on my website.

Patrick

forwells
05-31-2010, 12:43 AM
My only explanation is that I'm focusing SO much on my hand that it's keeping me from normal interactions with people.

Bingo

Your brain is built to focus and that is what it is doing , You are telling it over and over again that your hand is a problem . So what is it doing it is focusing on that problem .

As Patrick said you need to distract and brake the addicting you have to it .
Your problem is no different than many here , yours is your hand , some it is their heart , some it is thoughts other is checking the heart rate and blood pressure . But the common factor with all is their tired and stressed out mind is focused on something and not letting it go .

cheers kev :)