PDA

View Full Version : OK your starting to have a panic attack-WHAT DO YOU DO?

scatmantom
03-30-2006, 02:16 PM
I would be interested to know wot every1 does when they know they are about to have a panic attack,

I personnally breath deeply, try to think rationally and if im at home put my relaxation CD on?

What do you guys do (im lookin for tips really)

leftie15
03-30-2006, 02:30 PM
hey tom when i know its coming i really try to tell myself to stop i just keep saying it over and over again just to distrct my mind then i also tell myself i'll worry in one minute just let me have one minute of peace and that sumtimes can direct my mind sumwhere else if all else fails i just tell myself this isn't the end of the world your not gonna die or go crazy i just try to accept it and i find if i just accept that its happening then it usually makes it alittle better and quiker hope these help take it easy man

kim
03-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Back in the early days (the beginning of time) when I was overcome by dizzy spells, a recovering agoraphobic told me that she sucked on barley sugar lollies - so I used to do that with the thought that the sugar in the lollie gave me a boost - but in reality I think it just gave my mind something to do - sucking the lollie down to nothingness. I found it helped.

Breathing is very important as you would already know - through your nose - breath in 1,2,3,4,5 - hold for 10 - breath out 1,2,3,4,5.
Slowly and not too deeply. Put your shoulders down (helps relieve tension) and think of something pleasant, or give yourself a positive talking to, even for the simplest thing and do things step by step (that way you will give yourself lots of positive feedback and when you've done all you think you can do - even if it's not all the you wanted to achieve, just think "well I got this far - good on me").

Excercise is good - stretching relieves tension - you can do that in your lounge room - do it slowly and calmly.

Get lots of sleep and eat a healthy diet (neither that easy these days) but in the long run it helps - all the little things add up.

Do something you can do, like if you feel an attack coming on and your at home and if you have a dog or cat, go chill with them - eg play ball with the dog, or give him a bath or a brush - I think pets are very therapuetic - I have three cats. Wash your car, vacuum the floor, go for a swim - take your mind off the attack. This again sometimes is easier said then done - but you will probably find once you've mastered overcoming that first attack, the others will become easier to deal with over time.

If you are out and are waiting on an appointment, or in a cue - tell the receptionist or whoever- you would be truly surprised at how quickly you can get service once you tell them your prone to having panic attacks(most of the time); I also think that once you tell them this they usually take more attention to you and then notice your eyes bugging out of your head - this I have come to realise, is not something you need to feel embarrassed about, if it helps then do it I say.

I used to have a herbal spray that you spray under your tongue that was supposedly supposed to relax you, I got it from a herbal shop - but in all honesty I think it was just a mind thing - but then I guess that is what panic attacks are, aren't they, just your mind playing up on you, you just need to believe in the good stuff and trick your mind into believing it too.

Have someone to talk to, someone who's happy, friendly, kind, understanding and who will be there for you - you don't need negative people around you, they only bring you down.

So basically, just try to do things slowly and calmly, listen to relaxing music and think "happy" thoughts. I have been agoraphobic for 15 years (probably 10-12 of them pretty good) - I have two small boys (who can be very loud, damanding and nerve grinding) but still I try - it's not easy - noone said it was. Just look at this sight, so many people around the world are in the same boat - you are not alone. That in itself has gotta make you feel better.

I truly do wish you all the best.

lola_golightly
03-30-2006, 08:11 PM
I try to rationalize the situation to myself. I tell my self all of these symptoms are only because of the anxiety. Honestly though, the only thing that calms me down completely is God. I know it's corny but i just think about the fact that no matter what happens to me, even if everything falls apart, i can still go to him and he'll keep me safe. Even if i die, even if i ruin my life, even if i have nothing else, i'll still have him. i'm such a dork :?

scatmantom
03-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Good responses guys, but i want every1 to join in this discussion!

MODS too!

Bridgie
04-01-2006, 07:52 AM
I take a clonazipam, Scatman! Probably not the best advice, but it works for me!

kevin
04-02-2006, 09:22 PM
hey the only thing ive found so far is to either get right drunk or put on my toots and the maytals cd! music that makes me feel really happy, but i noticed the biggest factor of anxiety is if you think about it it hits you hard, if you keep busy and dont think about it it doesnt even effect you at all.

scatmantom
04-03-2006, 07:23 AM
thats right kevin, if you take ur mind off it in anyway u find easy, it will reduce the severity, or may even help to avoid a panic attack all together!

Angel
04-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Depends where im at.

If im at home, i get on the phone (helps with koming back to reality), jam, walk around,.

If im in a kar, i drink a kold bottle of water, and roll the windows down for fresh air (mmm), and lower down my musick (usually blasting). Or if im with a certain someone, she takes my mind off the attack with....you know...stuff.

If im at a party i go to my kar, or a kar, and chill for a while. Then get back in the mix. Or i get laid, then go back to the party.

Or if i feel one koming on before a gig, like i always do, i just look at the bands before me and think "im gonna tear this place up"
or
i get laid real quick, then i feel fine and fuck up (in a good way)

plus
i have something else to say in between songs.
" So, how are you all? drunk yet? Im doing great. I just got laid."
:cheers and applause:

kevin
04-12-2006, 11:23 PM
well for me meditation was working and also thinking about my "happy place" but now i am all fucking freaked out again at some thoughts i had when i was high on mushrooms. i am never touching drugs again, and i dont know if im gonna drink either because im taking clonazepam now.

Jono_aussie
07-10-2006, 08:30 PM
take a mild breathe in count 6 seconds than relax follow with a another breath in counting 1,2,3 than out 1,2,3, repeat for about a minute, it stops the hypoventilation caused by a panic attack, sometimes it works for me sometimes it doesn't, hope this helps

Tori
07-11-2006, 07:56 PM
i take 1mg of klonopin, close my eyes breathe deep and tell myself "you are fine, this is only a feeling" and things like that till i either konk out from the pill or feel better :D

Pancthulhu
07-13-2006, 07:33 AM
To prevent a panic attack you really need to distract yourself for at least three minutes. A good method I use is to choose a three digit number and count backwards in sevens.

07-13-2006, 11:52 AM
I hate taking medication, even for something like a common cold, so I have to do something else.

Cold places help me a lot when I'm panicking. I don't know why. But the coldest place in my house is the bathroom floor or the basement, so I hang out there for a bit and try to completely blank my mind. It works. ;)

Oh yeah, at my job we have a huge walk in freezer we sometimes have to go into to get some things, perfect time for me to try and clear my head. Cold as hell though and my glasses fog up as soon as I get back out. :D

Svish
07-13-2006, 12:20 PM
walk in freezer? wish I had that.. sounded great :)

Pancthulhu
07-21-2006, 06:05 AM
I wish I were old enough to work at the freezer at work. It's too damn hot!

scatmantom
07-29-2006, 01:35 PM
haha yea the heat is pretty unbareable during these months