PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum , Major Attacks

armywifey
03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey all. I am 24/F and started getting anxiety attacks in 2002, I was on meds for it and I went to counseling but I moved and now I'm off the meds and no one to talk too. My anxiety is so bad, I get these wierd vibrating sensations in my head ( i can't even explain) it is so scary, then I get this feeling like if I don't get up and do something I'm going to die, my heart rate jumps up and I freak out basically. It all started after I had a car accident in Nov. 2002. It seemed like I was doing really good for awile even off the meds but my husband recently left for Basic Training and now that I am alone it has came back full force, I can't even drive for short periods of time without worrying am I going to passout or are these head sensations going to come back .... it's like what am I to do? I used to be this care free person who lived life and now I am some sort of a freak who can't even enjoy life without worry. I'm scared to get back on my meds, I've grown all these phobias now, I can't even go to Wal Mart without feeling like I am going to pass out. Then like ever other month I get swollen lymph nodes either behind my ear or on my jaw bone and the Dr. says it's ok, I feel flustered by evening time like I am burning up ( hot flashes) and it's not my blood pressure, sick to my stomache, I have tension headaches all the time it seems, I get these muscle spasms in certain parts of my body (they don't hurt, just annoying)... I went to the ER because while I was looking in the phone book for a good sushi place, I got the weird sensation in my head and freaked out, the Dr. said none of my symptoms resemble an emergency and said he just wants to reassure me I was okay, anything could cause anxiety, he said I have gotten it just because I was looking for the sushi place or because the day before my husband left for BT. So now I feel like a dumb@** for even going to the ER. Anyone else get like this?

kim
03-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Hey there,

Sorry to hear your having a hard time of it. It's extra hard and scary when you're alone. I've been agoraphobic since I was 23, I went on medication (allegron) and saw a phsyciatrist and very slowly learnt how to overcome and live with agoraphobia. I got my life back - nothing like it was - eg no more night clubbing, or going into the city. But I got back to work, got married, have children, went shopping and to the movies. You need a friend to support you (someone who is understanding and has time to be with you), it would also probably be a good idea to get some professional help, ask your doc to refer you to someone, and it is up to you and your doc whether you want to go on medication eg what you need and what you want it to do for you. Having a sight like this is good too as you can see for yourself there are alot of people from all places over the world who are struggling with anxiety, panick attacks, agoraphobia and all sorts of different things. So it is comforting to know that you are not alone.

Unfortunately it can reoccur (something I wasn't aware of - but some 15 years later have discovered - yippee). But once you learn some techniques that work for you, you will be well on your way.
Good Luck!