PDA

View Full Version : do i have agoraphobia??

Jono_aussie
03-27-2006, 05:32 PM
one of my problems is i cant go outside of my home town , im fine anywhere around twon btu when it comes to going somewhere i get worried and think i might have a panick attack once i get to where im going, and i think where am i gonna stay when i get there am i gonna be safe??, what happens if i have a panick attack will people look at me weird?? will someone help me?? is that agoraphobia?

crxman321
04-09-2006, 01:11 PM
You sound alot like me I'm pretty sure thats Agoraphobia. I havent been told I have it but I think I do also. Before I walk out the Door to go somewhere My stomach gets really uneasy and I start to get nervous. The wheels in my head are already turning I wonder if so and so is gonna be there what if they make fun of me? I dont wanna look Stupid or have people think i'm retarted b/c i stutter and freak out in social settings. One thing I have noticed though is when I try my Hardest to be apart of the Conversation and make jokes and whatever my nerves drop a little. I have a good sense of humor in the first place and that helps me I use that to my Advantage to make it through the Anxiety in those situations. Dont get me wrong im still a second away from a Panic attack but it does help to a certain degree sometimes more then others. The Blushing, Rapid heart Beat, Twitching,shaking,sweating and the big big thing is being confused and just being so far gone that You cant think or understand whats going on around you. man oh man is that embressing or what. I worked at a local ski resort two years ago it was my first Job. I was placed in the Rental we fixed/passed out skis to Bus loads of Customers. I remember my first day I was having a Panic attack and the Boss was going through and showing us what to do and talking alot. I was paying attention but I wasn't. I couldnt focus or really think. There were other guys there also learning and they made me even more nervous. I didnt wanna seem stupid infront of them I was just real quiet and lost in my Head. Thats how bad my Anxiety kills Me when I'm out walking my Dog and people smile or stare at me I instantly think there thinking something bad about me or my dog or both of us. I live in a really small one stoplight town so this shouldnt be anything new to me but it is I never used to walk this much. The Stuttering is also very embressing theres always moments in conversations where someone will ask me something and in a split second I get nervous and cant talk or think. Several times i've tried to talk but words dont come out just alot of stuttering nonsense. And then the person looks at you like your Retarted let me tell you does that give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside or what.... :oops: :cry: When I was little I did Stutter but not half as much as I do now. It got better for a while then all a sudden The nervous thing came in to play and it got worse. I'm a Senior in highschool and i'm ready to be done with school thats for sure atleast I can close one horrible chapter with the Anxiety. Graduation is june 2nd and i'm already so nervous about it it's not right.... Im freaked out about if its gonna be in the cramped up gym with 1000 people or if its gonna be oustide so I can breathe a little bit better. I'm nervous about standing up and walking on the stage and recieving the Diploma and Flower along with shaking a bunch of peoples hands. And this is the main thing the order inwhich we will walk and where I will be sitting and who beside. I'm afraid i'l freak out and walk the wrong way or have a full out blown panic attack .. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry:

crxman321
04-09-2006, 01:23 PM
One of your questions was if I have a panic attack will people look at me werid? Well Unfortunately they prolly will... some people are nice and some people just arent so nice. They dont know whats wrong If they dont have any experience with Anxiety issues to them "Your Crazy" or "Stupid". People arent informed about Anxiety Disorders enough and thats a big problem for us who have them. I'm on a I.E.P. at school I forget what it stands for but anyways I have a Learning Dissablity and that with my servere anxiety problems is Hell on earth. I know im jumping around alot here its just I want people to read and try to get a better idea of how this affects people in america today. I hope you have better luck with whatever your doing find that right doctor and meds and dont give up theres always someone somewhere thats worse then me you and everybody else. I've learned to fight it a little its not the best idea in the world but I gotta live and do things and we only live once.

spicegirl479
04-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Well you have to see what happens when you leave the town.A panic attack aint gonna kill you you must brave through it ,take few comfort things like fruit water music etc,at the end of the day i have had bad agrophobia but one day decided that i wasnt going to live my life around what strangers thought of me theres too much good things in the world and i bet you have alot to offer in it.Grab the bull by the horns and give it a go people have panic attacks becuase they fear panic attacks but it is proven that once you have had alot of attacks they arent as harsh and the fear is not as intense.Believe in yourself your not alone.Tke little notes with you also to help you and remeber that when or if you have a panic attack you can always sit down and gain your strenth but the longer you hide away from the world the harder it will become.so go do it.

kem
04-25-2006, 12:03 PM
About people noticing when you have a panic attack. Honestly, the vast majority do not know. At the most, they may thing you're not feeling well. That's it! People with anxiety are amazing actors and actresses! We hide our problems so well from people, that most strangers can't tell we even have a problem. The people closest to us sometimes don't even realize what's going on and if they do, they often don't realize how intense our problems are and they don't know how to help and wish desperately that they could.

I want people to stop thinking everyone out there is thinking badly about people with anxiety. So many people know about our disorders mainly because so many people have them!

I want to share the one thing that has helped me overcome social anxiety disorder, and resulting panic attacks, agorophobia and OCD. That is the Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiety. Some of you may have seen it on late at night. The informercial where people are talking about their problems with stress, anxiety and depression.

I went through the program after hitting my rock bottom a few years ago while in college. I had been taking Zoloft for years and it wasn't helping enough so I stopped. 6 months later, the horrific panic attacks began again and I flipped out. I was told over and over that you'll just have to live with it the best you can. It will never go away. And excuse my language here but that is complete BULLSHIT!

This program deals with every single kind of anxiety and depression out there. You don't even have to deal with the stress of going to therapists and couselors (which are also expensive). This is a do it yourself, at home program and you will reap amazing benefits from it.

With the help of the life-lessons and life-tools I've learned, I graduated college ( a little late...took me 5.5 years), got a job I'm good at, am in my first serious relationship, have a large number of friends and even went to New Zealand this past summer for a month with 45 strangers and had the absolute time of my life!!!

I've recommended this program to countless friends. Most are too skeptical to try it as they think they've tried everything else including every single kind of medication out there and nothing has worked, so they don't even bother. The few friends who have ordered the program are doing great and rave about it as much as I do!

There is hope, and life and wonderfulness right outside your door and because of this damn anxiety, so many of you are missing it. It's not your fault. It's the anxiety. Whether you got it through genetics or environmental experiences, doesn't matter. It's got you and its controlling your life and it doesnt have to.

You have so much more power than you even realize and compared to it's power, you can beat it if you really try! There's so much wonderful stuff to enjoy! Look into this program PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE and I promise it will help your life tremendsously!

YOU DONT HAVE TO SUFFER ANYMORE!

Jono_aussie
07-09-2006, 07:57 PM
thanx for the advice people, i know when i meet people they ask im im feeling allright cause i look a bit upset but i explain im fine and i sometimes tell people i suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and it kinda puts my mind at ease knowing that i have told people so they know what to expect if it does happen

Bubbywu
07-09-2006, 11:58 PM
I agree with Kem, most people never really notice when I have an attack. Us agoraphobics hide our problem really well. Your town is your compfort zone. You know all the routes to take and where your outs are. Like if you need a bathroom, of a phone, whatever. I'm the same way, but like I always tell myself, no one has EVER died from a panic attack. Even though we think we are. It doesn't always help, but I always remember that. And that God gives the toughest challenges to the strongest people because He knows we can do. And that's every and any God that worshipped. ;) I wish you well. Take baby steps.

Chele

Fear
08-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I don't think that,like if I'm safe or what.I just decide not to go out.I think yours is a form of agoraphobia.

emz_1986
11-22-2006, 03:32 AM
one of my problems is i cant go outside of my home town , im fine anywhere around twon btu when it comes to going somewhere i get worried and think i might have a panick attack once i get to where im going, and i think where am i gonna stay when i get there am i gonna be safe??, what happens if i have a panick attack will people look at me weird?? will someone help me?? is that agoraphobia?

i'm afraid i don't know if what you have is agoraphobia but i get a similar problem to you. I get worried about going out places incase i get panicky or have a panic attack and need to run. i struggle going to work too, which is causing big problems.