PDA

View Full Version : Waking up feeling Panic

Lily7435
04-15-2010, 08:01 AM
I have always been a worrier, but lately it has been really bad. I had blood work done to check medication levels in ym blood. I am bipolar. I noticed my white blood count was listed as HIGH. The Psychiatric Nurse practioner didn't seem concerned just asked if I had a cold or something. It was only 2 over normal, but me I worry about stuff like this. So, I made an appointment to my regular Dr. When I got in the nurse said, "Are you worried about that?" and was so sweet and said that is nothing, don't worry about that. SO, I already felt much better...then my Dr. came in and he said you are going to worry until someone tells you everything is OK and I said, Yes, thinking he would tell me everything was OK....Well, he instead sent me to a Hematologist and a cancer center. He said you don't have any symptoms of anything, but we'll send you to the experts. He didn't even say anythng about repeating my blood work. The last one was done 3 weeks prior. I had to suggest it, but we set up an appointment anyway with the Hematologist. Anyway, I was a wreck, a complete wreck. I told me Mom about it and she said, Oh 13 is nothing, mine was 1,000 when I had appendicitis. So, I felt a little better. I had nothing to compare my results too. I was convince beforehand that I had leukemia and was already planning who all would take care of my two kids. I made my husband (their step Dad) promise to look after them, which is gladly did. My blood work came back normal, I made my husband call and ask if it was OK to cancel the hematologist appointment and they said Yes, we only did that to reassure her. Well, reassuring a bipolar person, with GAD, OCD by sending her to a cancer center wasn't the way to do it.

After finding out I was going to live, LOL, you would think I would feel all better and the anxiety would be gone. I did and do feel a lot better, but I still have moments of anxiety and it is really getting hard to deal with. I feel like I will never be my happy fun self. I know I sound screwed up anyway, but my bipolar is under control and my OCD is pretty mild..just a worrier and obsessive thinker which I think I handle pretty well, but lately my anxiety is just overwhelming. I substitiute teach and I am supposed to work tomorrow and I am scared to death. Afraid I will have a panic attack. I don't know if I should cancel or not. If I cancel I will feel like a loser. I normally do very good at work and I love the kids, but I haven't worked for a few weeks and I am feeling so anxious.

What I think is weird is that I wake up feeling panicky, before I even have time to worry or think. Does anyone else feel that way? I've never had that happen before. I'm starting to worry that something is really wrong with me, but after my last Dr.'s experience I am really afraid to go back and the thought of it really makes me anxious and feel sick. I also don't know what they would check me for. Other than this anxiety I feel pretty healthy and work out 3 times a week. That is the best medicine, although it doesn't last all day. :(

I am really scared, I am never going to be my happy fun self again.
Sorry, this is so long.

Terry
04-16-2010, 06:00 AM
I have always been a worrier, but lately it has been really bad. I had blood work done to check medication levels in ym blood. I am bipolar. I noticed my white blood count was listed as HIGH. The Psychiatric Nurse practioner didn't seem concerned just asked if I had a cold or something. It was only 2 over normal, but me I worry about stuff like this. So, I made an appointment to my regular Dr. When I got in the nurse said, "Are you worried about that?" and was so sweet and said that is nothing, don't worry about that. SO, I already felt much better...then my Dr. came in and he said you are going to worry until someone tells you everything is OK and I said, Yes, thinking he would tell me everything was OK....Well, he instead sent me to a Hematologist and a cancer center. He said you don't have any symptoms of anything, but we'll send you to the experts. He didn't even say anythng about repeating my blood work. The last one was done 3 weeks prior. I had to suggest it, but we set up an appointment anyway with the Hematologist. Anyway, I was a wreck, a complete wreck. I told me Mom about it and she said, Oh 13 is nothing, mine was 1,000 when I had appendicitis. So, I felt a little better. I had nothing to compare my results too. I was convince beforehand that I had leukemia and was already planning who all would take care of my two kids. I made my husband (their step Dad) promise to look after them, which is gladly did. My blood work came back normal, I made my husband call and ask if it was OK to cancel the hematologist appointment and they said Yes, we only did that to reassure her. Well, reassuring a bipolar person, with GAD, OCD by sending her to a cancer center wasn't the way to do it.

After finding out I was going to live, LOL, you would think I would feel all better and the anxiety would be gone. I did and do feel a lot better, but I still have moments of anxiety and it is really getting hard to deal with. I feel like I will never be my happy fun self. I know I sound screwed up anyway, but my bipolar is under control and my OCD is pretty mild..just a worrier and obsessive thinker which I think I handle pretty well, but lately my anxiety is just overwhelming. I substitiute teach and I am supposed to work tomorrow and I am scared to death. Afraid I will have a panic attack. I don't know if I should cancel or not. If I cancel I will feel like a loser. I normally do very good at work and I love the kids, but I haven't worked for a few weeks and I am feeling so anxious.

What I think is weird is that I wake up feeling panicky, before I even have time to worry or think. Does anyone else feel that way? I've never had that happen before. I'm starting to worry that something is really wrong with me, but after my last Dr.'s experience I am really afraid to go back and the thought of it really makes me anxious and feel sick. I also don't know what they would check me for. Other than this anxiety I feel pretty healthy and work out 3 times a week. That is the best medicine, although it doesn't last all day. :(

I am really scared, I am never going to be my happy fun self again.
Sorry, this is so long.

Hi Lily,

I also have just developed the waking up in a panic. It's all part of this anxiety/panic disorder business. I just went for five days with no sleep because everytime I would just dose off, I'd awake in a panic, thumping heart, body twitches, hot skin. I had to sit in the bed all night, dead tired, but not able to get to sleep. I finally gave in to the clonazepam just to calm down and get some sleep. I'm on a low dose at night and it is helping alot. Everything you describe about how you feel, is me exactly. I'm just learning about anxiety and panic disorder from reading myself. I am now just accepting this and it's making it so much easier to deal with. Anyway, back to your night panic, it's something that happens, yet another anxiety symptom. Good Luck.

Adrenal
04-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Go to a endrocrinologist or your MD and ask for a catecholamines blood test and/or a 24 hour urine test to rule out a pheochromocytoma.

My husband was recently diagnosis with this supposedly rare tumor, but his major symptoms was waking with heart palpitations. Type in pheochromocytoma on google and go to the mayo site and look at the symptoms. My husband was misdiagnosised for years with anxiety and depression.

njmom
04-16-2010, 08:04 PM
To put your mind at ease, ALL of my "bad" attacks are when waking. In fact, I've figured out that its when I nap, or go nack to sleep after initially waking that they are the worst. For some reason when I am woken up after sleeping shortly thats when they are extreme. I feel like I am awake but my brain is desperately still trying to dream and I can't get a grip on reality and it freaks me right out. Otherwise, I wake up everyday with sweating palms and feet with the flushing sensation and overall anxiety. Since I started lexapro I've noticed my heart doesn't race like it used to which helps profoundly.

Lily7435
04-17-2010, 12:22 PM
To put your mind at ease, ALL of my "bad" attacks are when waking. In fact, I've figured out that its when I nap, or go nack to sleep after initially waking that they are the worst. For some reason when I am woken up after sleeping shortly thats when they are extreme. I feel like I am awake but my brain is desperately still trying to dream and I can't get a grip on reality and it freaks me right out. Otherwise, I wake up everyday with sweating palms and feet with the flushing sensation and overall anxiety. Since I started lexapro I've noticed my heart doesn't race like it used to which helps profoundly.

Yes, it is exactly that with me too...more so and worse after napping or going back to sleep. This anxiety is really taking over. I haven't had a major problem with it until recently and now I can't seem to get rid of it. Some days are good and I feel almost normal and other days are really rough. I take xanax if I really need it, but I am worried I'll get dependent on it and then I hear anxiety is really bad. Now after the other reply I got I am really scared about the adrenal tumor thing. I knew I shouldn't have posted anything as I am a major worrier about stuff like that. :(

Thanks for your response though, it helped me.

northstar
04-18-2010, 02:24 PM
i used to suffer with this too.

waking up with anxiety can be down to a simple blood sugar low, the best solution is to eat a good breakfast as soon as you can after waking. i used to keep a banana by my bedside and eat it as soon as i woke up and it did the trick, but these days i have my blood sugar levels in much better order so i don't have this problem anymore.

low blood sugar is a major cause of anxiety and anyone suffering with this kind of problem needs to look into their diet and see what they might be doing wrong, it can really help.

for more information you can take a look at this larger post i wrote: http://www.anxietyforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4087

Adrenal
04-19-2010, 05:55 AM
The tumor on the adrenal that can be releasing hormones that produces so called panic attacks is usually begign and if found can be removed with the adrenal gland. The other gland takes over the regulation of the hormones and symptoms are gone. Ask for a blood catechomalines test. Hopefully your doctor will want to put your mind at ease and rule this out as the test is really not that expensive, much less cost than all those pills they prescribe.

Here is some info on the symptoms:

■High blood pressure
■Rapid heart rate
■Forceful heartbeat
■Profound sweating
■Abdominal pain
■Sudden-onset headaches — usually severe — of varying duration
■Feeling of anxiety
■Feeling of extreme fright
■Pale skin
■Weight loss
These signs and symptoms develop because this type of tumor produces an excess of chemical compounds called catecholamines. Excessive secretion of catecholamines — the hormones adrenaline (epinephrine) and noradrenaline (norepinephrine) — can lead to persistent high blood pressure or wild fluctuations in your blood pressure, depending on whether the catecholamines are released continuously or in shorter bursts. The intermittent release of these hormones can cause other symptoms to occur from time to time as well.

palow
04-21-2010, 04:46 AM
I recovered a decade-long case of GAD with a very structured programme of diversion, or distraction. I was a compulsive thinker and I have come to realise my thinking is what's fueling the anxiety.

I had big problems with night-time anxiety and waking up with my blood ice cold. For 4 months I moved into a room by myself. I took up guitar again and slept with my guitar instead of my wife. When I woke up in the middle of the night in terror, I grabbed the guitar and played these complex scales that I memorised. In the morning I would jump out of bed and put on my MP3 player and play headbanging music and dance. When taking my morning shower, I would sing fairly complex melodies like Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Do anything you can to STOP THINKING when you wake up. Try knitting or preferably something you can do in the dark, so that you can roll over and fall asleep again. Guitar is perfect. You can do it lying down. Or you can try singing if you don't have a sleeping partner.

This is not coping. Believe it or not, after a few months of doing this in a structured manner, you'll actually get over your anxiety.

I don't know about bipolar disorder. But in that case, the distraction should help you cope at least. Give it a try.

Patrick

Lily7435
04-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't have any of these symptoms except for the anxiety which I have dealt with on and off for years. Thank-you for the info though, if it continues, I may look into it.

Lily7435
04-21-2010, 12:31 PM
I think my problem may be the thinking too. My Dr. is always trying to talk me into taking meds for my obessessive thinking because that is what gets me into trouble. Why it is giving me so much trouble now and why I can't seem to get over it is beyond me. I really try to block out the thoughts and it does seem to effect me more and stay with me longer when I am alone than when my family is home and I am busy. I have to be busy in the head though. Thanks for your reply.

Lily

Lily7435
04-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm going to try to pay more attention to when they anxiety attacks and panic hit me. Low blood sugar could definitely be part of it. I have been told I probably have low blood sugar at other times for other things, so this does make sense.

Thanks

palow
04-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Have you ever thought of going in a holistic drug-free direction? You can't do it alone. You need someone to coach you. If you have health insurance you should look into cognitive behavioural therapy. Try to find a CB therapist who is into healthy lifestyle changes. But then you have to be committed to change.

I don't like what you said about your therapist pushing you to take drugs. Unless you're constantly thinking about suicide or mass murder, I don't believe you need drugs. People in the medical field only know one option: medicate. That's why it's called the medical field.

As far as I can see, you don't have anything to lose by trying this: 1) Get into CBT 2) Sign up for a yoga or qigong class that includes meditation 3) Sign up for an aerobics class 4) Give yourself 4 months to recover. Within that 4 month period, keep going even if you don't see any results.

The CBT will teach you to flip your thoughts from negative to positive. If you think positive, you can think as much as you want. The yoga or qigong will teach you correct posture and belly breathing. The aerobics will blast some strength into you. The 4-month commitment will teach you the power of faith and patience.

Everyone who has recovered from severe anxiety has done these things together in a focused manner within a fixed period of time.

Patrick

IHatePanicAttacks
04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Thinking too much is probably one of the biggest causes of panic attacks and anxiety, at least that's what I believe. To fight this I think the best thing that you can do is either see a therapist, or do some kind of meditation classes that will teach you how to control your mind, breathing, and make your overall life better.

These things definitely worked for me, and I think they will help anyone who is dealing with anxiety and panic attack issues.

Kryztina
04-26-2010, 07:42 AM
I can totally relate as I wake up with anxiety, sort of gasping. It bothers me a lot and I don't like to take meds either. I am also in a very stressful place, all of these things will happen in the next 2-3 months:

my only child is leaving for college
moving to accept another job OR getting laid off
hoping to reunite with my husband who has been forced to work in another state

Deep breath...