PDA

View Full Version : Is this Anxiety?

Dave117
04-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I am a 44 year old male. Beginning in February ’10, I began wakng up out of sleep with a pounding heart and a tightened airway. This happened about 4 time over the course of two months. I have since had every test imaginable…cardio stress, upper GI, Pulmonary etc. All test came back negative for anything physiological.

My symptoms have deceased a bit but I still have a constant clenching in my airways from my epiglottis to my trachea. The only thing that gives me relief is an Atavan or Xanex. I sometimes take 4 a day on a bad day. My doctor is recommending I try Paxil or Zoloft. I have never used these types of medications before. I am not used to taking prescription drugs but feel forced to get any relief.

I have always had a stressful job but for some reason lately I have not been coping with the stress as usual. I used to work out 3-4 days a week but that has declined with the obstructed airway which makes me short of breath. What the heck is going on with me?

Looking for answers. I am open to suggestions.

njmom
04-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Have you had your thyroid tested??

Dave117
04-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Yes, thyroid test was negative

Adrenal
04-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Did you have a catecholamines blood test to rule out a pheochromocytoma?

Dave117
04-16-2010, 01:49 PM
My cardiologist is the one who requested the thyroid function test and I do not know if it covered the catecholamines which you refer.

I will tell you that I started Paxil 3 days ago and have noticed a dramatic improvement in my airway. I worked out yesterday and my heart rate was back to its normal pulse.

I still get an overwhelming feeling from time to time throughout the day when I am under certain stress but it is a hell of a lot better than a month ago. I know it takes Paxil about 3 weeks to really do its job but I am optimistic.

I have part of my life back anyway. Hoping for greater improvement.

IHatePanicAttacks
04-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I am not a doctor but if I had to guess I would say that this was not from anxiety\panic - just doesn't totally fit. It's good that the paxil is working for you, and I hope it continues to work.

Adrenal
04-20-2010, 05:29 AM
If you an uncertain what blood tests were done with your thyroid, ask for a copy of your medical records. I doubt they did a catecholamines blood test. It is a relatively inexpensive test ($150) with no insurance coverage. It saved my husband's life.

palow
04-21-2010, 04:25 AM
If your doctor suggests zoloft and paxil, then he definitely thinks you have anxiety disorder. Did he not suggest cognitive behavioural therapy? Going on SSRIs just covers up the problem and does not address the root problem, which is the fact that the stress in your life has finally reset your natural anxiety response to an abnormally high level. You need CBT to address the root cause of your anxiety.

Patrick

Kryztina
04-26-2010, 08:06 AM
This sounds like a classic anxiety symptom and I have experienced this myself. If you can push yourself within your comfort zone, try to continue working out, it's a huge stress reliever. Why are you having trouble coping now? Anything you can put your finger on? Also, please get counseling along with the medication. The meds will help you cope but you need to learn some different methods of coping too.

I wish you the best, please let us know how you are doing.