PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety question??

nood
03-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I was recently diagnosed with anxiety after my first panic attack. I feel I have been better with managing them and understanding what is happening to me. My Dr. has me on celexa 30mg daily and some klonopin as needed. I don't feel I worry as much any more but sometimes I have an episode where I feel week in the legs and break out in a cold sweat for a couple of minutes. I tell my self it is just anxiety and bring myself down from it. Sometimes prior to this I suffer from tension headaches that usually are pressure in my head,neck and shoulders.And I usually feel dizzy. My question is that after the cold sweats and nausea subside my headache is usually gone and I feel like I go back to normal( sometimes just a little tired). Does this sound pretty normal for an anxiety attack or should I look into the " cold sweats" with my Dr. a little bit closer. Any input would be appreciated.

tinkerbell_11
03-26-2010, 11:13 AM
i get head pressure....neck pain and shoulder pain aswell as chest aches etc..then i panic and make it ten times worse then it shouldbe i wish it would all just go away..

palow
03-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I just recovered from 11 years of generalized anxiety and now I am on a total anti-meds crusade. Everytime I hear of someone like you who was put on drugs before even being referred to CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) it drives me absolutely crazy.

Please get a referral to CBT if you have insurance coverage. If not, try some of the programs available online. They are based on CBT.

Anxiety disorder is a behavioral problem not a mental illness. Your anxiety reflex has gone out of whack and it can be reset with some CBT and patience and faith. Antidepressants are for bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses, not for anxiety.

Good luck,
PL

nood
03-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the comments. They really do help. My problem started initially with having sweats , headaches 9between my eyes)and dizziness at work that would pass. I thought it was sinus.Then one day I got really light headed and felt I was going to pass out. I then got extremely nauseated and weak. This scared me and my only thoughts were of my wife and son. Since then I have been treated for the anxiety attack but I am still having a headache, I feel unsteady on my feet and still have post nasal drip. My wife asks me how I feel and I am not sure what to say. The medicine I am on could make me dizzy and nauseated so I don't really know if it is the medicine, my sinus pressure or my ears. As a side note I have always felt of balance when I moved my head quickly or when I take a shower and tilt my head back for years. I break out in cold sweats almost daily. If I exert myself I sometimes get headaches. As you can see I really don't know how to feel. Should I see and ENT or a neurologist? Is it the meds? Do I over analyze everything? It's just that this whole thing started with headaches and dizziness and I still have the symptoms.

palow
03-28-2010, 01:19 AM
It sounds like anxiety disorder but you can always go another doctor for a 2nd opinion, if that would give you peace of mind.

If the 2nd doctor also says anxiety disorder I wouldn't go hunting for a 3rd, 4th or 5th opinion. But a 2nd opinion is a good idea, especially if the 1st doctor diagnosed you for anxiety and put you on meds immediately without even suggesting CBT.

If it turns out to be anxiety for sure (and I hope it is, because that means you're physically normal), then you need to get started on some CBT right away.

You also need to get off the Celexa but with a doctor's help. NEVER go cold turkey from any antidepressant. Get a schedule from the doctor to wean yourself off while you are in CBT.

Listen, I know this sounds crazy, but going through anxiety disorder was the best thing that happened to me. I know so much more about how my thoughts work. I have so much more control over my emotions and compulsions. I used to eat junk food but the anxiety forced me to eat a healthier diet and exercise.

Getting over your anxiety is like learning to play a musical instrument. You will pull through this if you have some patience and willingness to practice daily everything you are taught.

PL

mak777
04-06-2010, 04:58 AM
When we feel we are in danger or feel threatened, our body has an inbuilt defense mechanism that helps us fight or flee. This consists of both physical and psychological reactions that aid us in acting to protect ourselves.

The physical reactions include an increased heartbeat, fast breathing, muscle tension and so on. The adrenal gland pumps out more adrenalin and you may actually feel more energy inside of you. These are the ways in which the body hopes to help you resolve the situation that is causing you anxiety. In fact, in most cases, it does.

For some people, however, these reactions tend to be of an extreme nature. Not only that, the mind starts perceiving everyday happenings and normal situations as life threatening. The body therefore is always in a heightened state of anxiety and continues to be in an equivalent physical state. The body continues to trigger responses similar to those when faced by danger even though no real danger exists.
There are other factors too which contributes to anxiety disorders.

If you know causes you can take preventive measures.