PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks and my job (I need to vent, badly)

Wave84
03-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Hi,

I'm a 25 year old male and perfectly healthy aside from the anxiety.

I'm going to be a little bit cryptic as I don't want my employer to see this. I know the odds are slim that they will but you can never be too safe, right?

Anyway, I've been living abroad for three years. I lived in Korea for two and a half years and I moved to Japan almost a month ago. I've also been working in both of this countries (teaching my native tongue).

A little more than a month ago I started having panic attacks. It always started with heart palpitations. I remember being at work, feeling like my heart skipped a beat and then silently panicking. It basically felt like I had pins and needles all over my body and I had a sense of imminent doom. All typical stuff, I imagine.

I've also had neck and lower back pain. At first I attributed that to the fact that I had a minor motorcycle accident around the same time as both pains started and thought that the fall might have been harder than it felt. The lower back pain always occurred in the morning after a sleep. I'd wake up, my lower bank would feel really sore and it wouldn't go away until after I walked around a bit.

The heart palpitations persisted. They weren't bad during the day (sometimes they wouldn't show up at all) but at night, when I was in my apartment by myself, they'd strike with a vengeance. I'd begin to panic, I'd get tingly and go through all the motions, but would eventually nurse myself to sleep by trying to take my mind to it.

One morning I decided to go to a local clinic and see what was up. Originally I thought it was a heart problem so I told the doctor that and they did an EKG, chest X-ray and a urine test. The doctor said he wished he was as healthy as I was, then he told me it was stress and then sent me home. A few weeks later, another scary panic attack which made me go to the hospital emergency room in the wee hours of the morning. Same deal, they did an EKG, chest x-ray and had me lay in bed for several hours. I always got really embarrassed when it ended up being nothing serious and it looked like I was wasting the doctor's time but I didn't know what else to do.

The panic attacks didn't stop. I had also become constipated which I attributed to latent ulcerative proctitis that had been activated by all the stress.

In Japan I went to the doctor and they focused on the constipation and the proctitis. I had a colonoscopy, was prescribed meds and all the rest of it. With the help of laxatives my constipation was relieved. However, all my anxiety/panic attacks remained.

I should also mention that since I don't speak Japanese, my employer has sent translators with me for all of these visits.

I came to the conclusion that my proctitis (which causes blood loss) and my anxiety attacks were related because I could have anemia, which does have a side effect of panic attacks.

Two nights ago, I had a major panic attack. The worst ever. The muscles in the right side of my body started tensing up. I actually called an ambulance because my heart was racing and my right shoulder had became very tense and my heart was feeling like it was going to jump out of my stomach.

When I was in the ambulance they tested my vitals and sounded somewhat pissed like I was wasting their time. My resting heart rate is 62bpm, it was showing up between 65-75 (because of nervousness) in the ambulance and was not giving any signs of it being a heart attack. When I sensed this I immediately felt like a complete retarded idiot savant and wish I had never called the ambulance, but at the time I honestly thought I was having a heart attack and I had read that EKGs and chest X-rays don't say squat about the kind of heart problems that aren't present at the time of said tests.

After a morning in the hospital I was put on some tranquilizers. Because of some language-cultural barriers, the message at the end of the visit politely boiled down to "you're fine, you've wasted our time and our resources now go home." On top of that, my company called me and had me come to the office for a "meeting".

I was basically told that because of my medical conditions and the importance of the work I would be doing, that I might be given a position of lesser importance within the company because if I were to have these panic attacks at work it would make the company look very bad. They were nice about all of this but it has made me feel like a crappy human being that is wasting everyone's time.

Anyway, I don't have depression or any other psychiatric problems. My sister has a few psychiatric conditions (including panic attacks) and my father has heart problems (mainly attributed to diet and partly to genetics). I've always been prone to anxiety and stress but it has never controlled my life like this, I can usually manage it perfectly well like a lot of human beings.

Today I went to Tokyo and spoke with a foreign doctor from my own cultural background and for the first time I felt like I wasn't wasting someone's time and he was pretty sure that it is a panic disorder. I feel a lot better today because of the meeting and although I'm still having panic attacks, I think the medication I'm on ("Depas", a sedative/tranquilizer) I know that I'll at least be able to sleep well until this subsides.

I do have a few questions, though, for those of you who are too busy to read all of the above:

-Why now? I'm 25, not 12. I've had all my life to develop a panic disorder. I've traveled half way around the world more than once... I've adjusted to an extremely different culture, I've done some things that people with panic disorders would NEVER do... and not once have I panicked. Moving to Japan wasn't even a big deal to me as I've already "seen it all" in Asia and Japan is the safest/cleanest/least infuriating place over here.

-Has anyone else ever had muscle tension as a result of panic attacks? I actually have tension knots in my chest muscle (peck?) They came about during a panic attack.

-Why do the heart palpitations come first and the panic attacks come second? This is why I thought my problems weren't panic attack-related for the longest time. I always thought that with panic attacks, palpitations would come AFTER the attack began and intensify it. I could be feeling perfectly normal, then I'd have a palpitation and then I'd freak out.

-Am I stuck like this for ever? Will I get over these panic attacks? My current position within my employment revolves around convincing them that this is temporary and will go away. If it's not temporary it may come up again at some time or another and affect my work. I'm also concerned because the anti-anxiety medications they gave me always say "no alcohol" and "no driving." I need to drive and drink alcohol (not at the same time!) as part of my job and not being able to do these things could hurt me financially and socially.

Thanks a lot for any help and advice.

mikel
03-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey there! I'm obviously brand new to these forums. I just happened to stumble across them this evening while not having much luck sleeping due to, you guessed it, anxiety!

I've had plenty of panic attacks that always make me think to myself, "This is it.. I'm gonna die." Yet, I'm still here. It's so very frustrating when I think, "ok, well I've had panic attacks and this is another one. I need to relax and try to breathe and let it run its course." But more often than not I wind up going right back to the original thought, "But... what if this ISN'T a panic attack this time?" That's when I lose control.

There are plenty of sites for dealing with panic attacks. There's one that's helped me a lot, but I probably can't plug it openly. If you PM me, I can direct you to it.

My first attack was over a year ago. I didn't know what to do and my girlfriend at the time wasn't very helpful. All I got from her was, "go back to sleep. You're fine." From that point I started feeling very off. Things were cloudy, I couldn't focus properly. I had this lingering feeling of impending doom. I wound up going to a Medi-Center and had them hook some machines up to me. Nothing. The doctor listened to my heart and told me it was a little fast, but probably because I was a bit nervous. He had me come for blood the next day. About 2 weeks after I got the blood taken, the Medi-Center called me to tell me they checked everything including my thyroid and that everything was fine. OK! That was awesome news!

I get home that night and about 1am in the morning late in December 09, I had a panic attack that sent me to the ER. I had machines hooked up to me, doctors helping me, nurses drawing vials upon vials of blood. EKG, ECG, blood tests, chest xrays, nuclear dye tests and the treadmill stress test. Guess what? NOTHING!

Now, just over a year later, I still don't feel 100%. I have my good days and I have bad days. Like tonight. I lay down and try to sleep, but I just can't. I'm tired.. I know I am, but I just can't fall asleep. I wind up getting those stupid hypnic jerks that wake me right up and then it feels like my heart's skipped a beat and that causes me to panic.

This reply's a bit drawn out, but I just wanted to assure you that you're definitely not alone and it IS manageable.

Why now?

I've read about people having panic attacks when they're in their teens through to my father, for example, just beginning to have them in his early 60s. I know health can play a part, but sometimes your mind just takes over and wants to do its thing.

Has anyone else ever had muscle tension as a result of panic attacks?

I definitely have. Depending on the severity of the attack, I'll have sore muscles somewhere. I've had a knot in my pecs, legs, shoulder, back.

Why do the heart palpitations come first and the panic attacks come second?

I can only speculate, but for me, the palpitations causes the panic attack. I'm told I may had Generalized Anxiety Disorder and/or Panic Disorder. One of which causes your body to just be so outta whack. So what happens to me is my heart with feel like it skips a beat or maybe I get palpitations after not realizing I just had a half gallon of sugary Italian ice and bam, right away I start thinking, "oh no.. am I having a heart attack?" That's when the panic attack kicks in.

Am I stuck like this for ever?

You're definitely not stuck like this forever. My panic attacks have definitely gotten MUCH less frequent after finding this one site. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with this lame anxiety. I truly hate it. It keeps me awake at night and it makes me think such crazy things! For instance.. I like to sleep.. well.. let's just say free.. As stupid as it may sound, I tend to think to myself, "what happens if I have a heart attack and I wind up dying. I'll be lying here with no clothes on. That's embarassing!"

It sounds silly to a lot of people, but to me it's a rational concern.

I try to talk to some friends about this, but it's hard to really describe what I'm feeling. Sometimes it almost feels like they want to say, "dude.. snap out of it!" I remember telling a passing acquaintance about all this and they looked at me like it was the silliest thing they've ever heard and I was just stupid for making up such a crock.

Thankfully, my close friends and family are very supportive and I now have a girlfriend who doesn't shrug me off and just tell me I'll be fine.

AnxietyCure
03-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I really feel for you guys!

I deal with panic/anxiety disorders with many of my clients on a regular basis.

I'm not going to dwell too much on the whys and hows of anxiety, as from the sounds of it you both seem to have done your homework.

What i am going to say is that sometimes after a Significant Emotional Event has taken place - it is possible that the mind starts to focus on the negaive aspects of things like that happening again. Sometimes we can also learn phobias from those around us.

i believe, based on my experience, that Anxiety is the Unconscious Mind's way of telling us to focus on what we want rather than what we dont want.

But here's some good news: Anxiety is very common and it is possible to deal with it effectively and easily.

Most of my clients have their anxiety gone after just one session with me even if they've had it for years.

The best and most effective treatment is by using a combination of NLP, Hypnosis and Time Line Therapy. If used in the correct way Anxiety doesn't stand a chance!

If you need more information about the methods I advocate let me know either on this post or by direct email to: [email protected]

Wishing you the best

Nadeem

Wave84
03-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Mikel, thanks for all of your advice. It has made me feel a lot better about all of this. I'm not %100 convinced that I have anxiety but I've ruled out just about everything else.

I do have one symptom that keeps perplexing me, however and it comes in the form of a rash around my... erm, "fun zone" (I'm a guy). I ruled out STDs because I'm not sexually active nor have I been for a long time (and the last time was with someone I'd trust with my life). While some STDs produce latent rashes, I don't have any of the other STD-type symptoms that one would definitely notice nor have I ever had them.

Is it common to get these sorts of rashes with anxiety? I've heard of people having them on their appendages but have never read/heard of anyone having a rash between their legs due to anxiety.

Thanks.

AnxietyCure
03-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi,

As long as you have rules out the detergent you use for clothes washing and the soap you use then yes it could be a symptom of anxiety or stress.

may I ask if you are particulary shy with the opposite sex?

Most people don't like to talk about personl rashes - so its unlikely you'd find too much info on this subject.

regards