PDA

View Full Version : Recover - Crash - Recover - Crash Worse !!

Razz
03-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Over the years I have 100% recovered from my anxiety and had many years of a wonderful life...then a crash...recovery...crash. Usually stops after a few months with a lot of work but this time it just keeps going...and this time it is the worst I have ever had.

Would really like to talk to others with this pattern.

Rixx

I MedusaX I
03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Over the years I have 100% recovered from my anxiety and had many years of a wonderful life...then a crash...recovery...crash. Usually stops after a few months with a lot of work but this time it just keeps going...and this time it is the worst I have ever had.

Would really like to talk to others with this pattern.

Rixx

You aren't really being specific enough. Are you recovered and quit taking medication? Do you take medication? What kind of therapy have you had? From the sounds of it, and I'm no Psychiatrist or Psycho Therapist, but this could be a case of Bi-Polar disorder associated with Anxiety. Any manic episodes can cause anxiety and feel like a "crash". If the pattern repeats itself, consider this diagnosis. Seek a Psychiatrist and a Psycho Therapist for advice.

Razz
03-16-2010, 06:23 AM
I do not take medication due to sensitivity and I know from experience the negative outcomes possible.

I have been to some of the best anxiety clinics and practitioners in the USA and it is pure anxiety disorder without any other comorbid conditions. I have gone as long as 8 years without a return - great years!!

Given the right conditions the spiral can start and this time I failed to see the early symptoms and stop it

03-16-2010, 12:19 PM
WOW! 8 years without anxiety! If you can do it once then you can do it again! Just keep telling yourself this. You failed to recognize the signs?? When you say that what signs are you talking about? The bodily sensations that come with panic attacks?? Because if its the sensations you have to remember that you have felt them before. This is nothing new to you. You know it will not last forever!!! If you did it once you can do it again! Make sure you keep telling yourself that!

Razz
03-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks Cat

The longest I have been down in the past was 6 months and now it is over 3 years. I was pushing through fatigue for over a year before this breakdown.

I now know that working through fatigue causes extreme neurological arousal and can damage the parts of the brain that control arousal, fight or flight, panic and anxiety. I was getting many, MANY signals but as they came on slowly I felt that I was always sick and just had to learn to live with it and get on with my life.

I now know that as the allostatic load builds we become more blinded to the effects and the edge of the cliff nears....once over the cliff it is 1,000 times harder to get the nervous system back to health.

Rixx

rpewing
03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
I can definitely relate...I had been (fairly) anxiety free (in that it wasn't affecting my life all that much) for about six years...my job has been pretty demanding, and I just let the stress pile on and on until the same thing happened to me...

You will recover though...I guess it seems like it'll never end (it has with me and it's only been about 2 and a half weeks), but things will get better with time..if you did it before you can do it again

03-17-2010, 01:43 PM
It so interesting that you said you let the stress pile on and then its like a cliff. I think that if we were better able to handle the stress at the time maybe there would not be such an overwhelming anxiety. I hope that I can learn to do this!! How bout a positive statement I know I can learn to do this! I am currently a graduate student in social work...I have an internship and a job. That along with wedding planning has made me extremely stressed out. I am hoping that I can learn to take more time for me, and to slow down a little and smell the roses. There has to be an upside to anxiety becasue we have already felt the worst we can feel right!!! Good luck :-)