PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure, passion flower and other things

Gee_88
03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering how peoples blood pressure changed with anxiety. My blood pressure seems to be fluctuating quite rapidly and I have no explanation. Because I spend my days constantly worrying and fearing the worst (almost exclusively over my heart), my heart rate is always (90-100) up and my blood pressure seems to drop to around 100-105/40-60. I know that's not actually considered low and I'm sure it's not actually causing any symptoms. I'm always well hydrated and it isn't a blood sugar problem because I have measured my blood sugar in the past. However, if I am feeling little or no anxiety, my heart rate will typically be closer to normal normal and my blood pressure rises to 115-120/60-80. Can the rise in heart rate cause a decrease in blood pressure?

Also, I wanted to know if any one had tried using the herb passion flower for their anxiety and what they thought of it? I've been trying it for a few days and it helps a little, but it causes drowsiness and a slight light headed feeling. I've been getting more anxiety over the light headedness because I keep scaring myself in to thinking it's low BP even though my BP is 110/70 at the moment. Has any one tried motherwort? It sounds like a good herb for palpitations and rapid heart rate caused by anxiety.

I also wanted to ask whether or not beta blockers will slow your heart rate in the absence of anxiety? My thinking: no anxiety = no adrenaline = nothing to block = no effect.

Finally, I think anxiety has become to engrained in to my life I find it difficult to decide whether I am actually having anxiety anymore. I'm constantly paranoid that my symptoms are not anxiety related but when I think rationally I'm pretty sure they are. Are there any "tests" that you can do to prove whether you have anxiety or not? Like a blood tests to check for increased adrenaline. I know... it would seem obvious that just by being aware of how I am feeling I would be able to tell you if I'm feeling anxious, but I don't seem to have the ability to do that. I am in so much denial of my anxiety that it would be almost impossible for me to accept it.

Thanks,

George.