PDA

View Full Version : Anxious about Anxiety

Leafs93
02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. In the last year, I have suffered anxiety over some health issues that I worried were life threatening but of course were not. Now my problem is that any thought creates a anxious response and it seems to be on a constant loop that is driving me crazy!

Has anyone else experienced this and how did you deal?

Thanks

JeffB
02-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi

You can rest assured that "being afraid of being afraid" is very common and quickly can become a vicious circle. Many people have different approaches that work for them.

One I've learned that may seem counter-intuitive is to accept the fear and almost dare it to get worse. As you've learned, you're not really dying (it only feels like it :-) Resisting creates tension and fear of the unknown. Daring the fear to do its worse seems to destroy its power. At least it works for me.

Hope this helps.

Leafs93
02-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks Jeff.

I will give this a try.

I can handle the physical symptoms of anxiety. It is the feeling of unreality that is taking a toll on me. Seeing a therapist for the first time tomorrow. I am hopeful this will help. Trying to kick this without meds.