PDA

View Full Version : anxious depressed

niq
01-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I’ve been officially diagnosed with GAD, but I’m starting to suspect that the anxiety I experienced is just part of a bigger underlying depression problem.
To be honest, I don’t really know what I am feeling anymore. Sometimes I feel a little anxious or sad, but for the most part I feel emotionally void. I am just guessing at my emotions from the way I am behaving. I am lacking energy & motivation. Getting out of bed in the morning is difficult. Quite often I feel an overwhelming impulse to cry.

I don’t know what to do anymore. At least when I was anxious I was motivated to do something about it. I feel like I’ve beaten the anxiety only to fall into a deeper hole. There are problems & stresses in my life that certainly could be contributing to the way I am feeling. But it is really hard to work towards fixing these problems when I am in such a state of mental disrepair. My memory, concentration & spatial awareness are all impaired. I am trying to ease back into work (currently on extended sick leave), but no matter how hard I try I just can’t concentrate at work. If I’m to fix the other problems in my life then a steady income is essential.

I’m not on antidepressants at the moment, but I think it’s time to go down that path. I have a prescription from my GP, but I also have an appointment with a psychiatrist in 2 and a half weeks. I don’t really have a lot of faith in my current GP. I am thinking maybe I should wait to see what the psychiatrist prescribes before I start taking medication. I am STILL trying to wean off the benzos that my GP gave me months ago.

Any thoughts on this? If finding the right antidepressant is just a matter of trial and error anyway, then perhaps I should just start on the SSRI prescribed by my GP immediately?

duster
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't know what benzos are? I wonder what is causing all this depression? Could it also be your environment? Can you move take a step to change your environment also?

MikeJsimon
03-11-2010, 07:49 AM
I don't know what benzos are? ?

Because there is a very strong problem of anxiety in our culture as well as insomnia, benzodiazepines are often used to treat these disorders. They also can be used in the context of medical surgeries as well as alcohol recovery. In the past the benzodiazepines prescribed included valium and librium. Now the more frequently prescribed medications are xanax and ativan to deal with anxiety. Other ones include dalmane and halcion. Addiction can be subtle and it's important to not stop without doing so gradually. The benzo drugs are often abused due to the calming results they bring to people and eradication of anxiety.

Quoted from http://ezinearticles.com/?Benzo-Addiction---List-of-Benzodiazepines-and-Questions-on-Withdrawal&id=1803745

Namrata
03-31-2010, 08:37 AM
The best way to get over from this stage is to be make your self very optimistic about the situations and things that may leads to a big problem that is depression and anxiety. You have to do some exercises that will be helpful and necessary to control all that negativities from your mind, at the same time you can take some meds also which can be worth taking.

Thanks