PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelming Anxiety over fear of Kidnapping- Help!

misa
03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Everyday as I walk home from high school, I suffer from an intense amount of fear and anxiety. It wasn't always this way. Walking home from school used to be one of my favorite times of the day, because I had time to think to myself. I walk along a street that is almost like a main street, but not so busy that there are always people around. Anyways, one day perhaps a month or so ago, a truck full of what looked to be construction workers or painters drove slowly past me, and leaned out the window and said "Baby baby, come here." (I don't think they knew much English outside of that). Anyways, it shook me up because I've always had a fear of kidnapping, but never so overwhelming. I continued walking home, but then they turned around and drove past me again, which really ruined my day. Since that day, I no longer enjoy my walks. I am nervous, paranoid, and generally wallowing in fear. I try to walk home as quickly as possible, which is hard since my walk is uphill. If a car slows down, I become extremely nervous, and if any car goes past me a second time I take off running into the woods. What can I do? No matter what, I am sure that one day I will be kidnapped. It is intense and overwhelming, and my family doesn't really understand it. It's ruining a portion of my life.

onesickfish
03-15-2006, 04:42 PM
misa I feel so bad for you. And angry too. Its horrible that neaderthal trucker men can climb out of the recesses of wherever they were spawned and have such an effect.

Firstly theres absolutely nothing unusual about feeling protective of yourself, its positively healthy i reckon. Believe me i bet every intelligent person - excuse me being sexist, but especially women- have felt concerned for their safety. Eeep! hope that doesn't sound like i'm belittling your fear, i just want to let you know that you're not alone in being cautious.

I don't know what measures you're taking to help you feel better but I used to walk with a couple of friends from school, is there anyone you could walk with? My mum works for social services and is put in awkward positions all the time, but she got herself a personal alarm, i think it makes her feel safer. Or the police sell those things that look like marker pens but sound like airhorns.
My brother got bullied on the way home from school and for the last couple of years has gone to various martial arts classes. Feeling that he can protect himself has given him much more confidence. I don't know if any of that will help?? I hope it does, you shouldn't have to feel like you do because some leery apeman thinks its acceptable to proposition someone but grunting out of a passenger window.

Goodluck :)

xXx

misa
03-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks onesickfish. Yes I am a girl. And it's more than feeling protective of myself. I've always felt that way, but since the day with the truckers it's a hugely immense fear, and there is no way I'd take a walk on my own for pure enjoyment anymore.

And I often think about the fact that those truckers didn't know what a huge effect their stupid actions would have on my life.