PDA

View Full Version : Xanax doesn't work..

snowpea
01-11-2010, 09:21 PM
So, I was prescribed Xanax about 2 months ago, I had a long flight I was nervous about, so the dr prescribed me some. Shortly after I was prescribed the Xanax, I had a MASSIVE panic attack, when I have an attack my heartbeat can go very high (in my most severe attacks about 165).

So I took a Xanax...and it didnt really help! My heart still raced for hours, and while I maybe felt slightly relaxed, I still had very very bad underlying anxiety.

The same thing happened about a month ago - I had a terrible, really intense panic attack - I took some Xanax, and it got FAR FAR worse, my severe anxiety/racing heart lasted most of the day.

There was one time I took a xanax (when I was on the plane) and it seemed to work, and dissolve my anxiety, but this was only once.

I feel like I'm better in control without a benzo...normally when I have an attack I can calm myself and my heart rate in about 15mins tops. I just feel like there must be something wrong with me...as everyone else seems to love Xanax and think it's this wonder drug! Has anyone else experienced something similar?

sharp
01-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Hi im no expert on anxiety as im quite new to it but I was put on beta blockers to slow my heart rate down as I found certain situations would make my heart go really fast. Funnily enough a few days after starting to take them i had a panic attack(my first ever 1) and one thing i wonder is was the attack partly down to the fact i was a bit nervous about taking the tablets and had to be reassured that they wouldnt stop my heart or wether the tablets didnt work and thats why i had the attack.
Anyway through my panic attack my racing heart was worse(every day lasting for most of the day) so the doctor put me on a higher dose of beta blockers and also venlafaxine and altho I do get abit of a racing heart at times its nowhere near as bad as it was and if i do get it, it lasts for maybes 10minutes. Altho saying this i havnt yet seen what im like in public yet as i aint been out the house for ages.
Hope this helps, if it dont then sorry lol :-)

snowpea
01-12-2010, 01:03 PM
That helps a lot actually, thank you :)