PDA

View Full Version : Problem eating in front of someone

justin18
01-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi there,

I have a problem eating when one of my friends is around. I ate some bad food at his house one day which caused me to vomit. Ever since then I can't eat when he's around. As soon as I start to eat or think about eating when he is there I get very nervous and I feel very full like I need to vomit and sometimes I do vomit.

Obviously this is a psychological thing, that I associate him vomiting now. I have no problems around anyone else or around him before I was sick at his house but I can't seem to stop it.

I've tried doing nothing and seeing if it just goes away on its on, but it just got worse. Now, if I have eaten and I am then going to see him it makes me feel really full and I worry about vomiting in front of him so I make myself sick before I see him sometimes.

Is there anything I can do about it myself like trying to train myself to think differently or do I need to see someone about it? I would be very grateful of any advice you could give me.

Thanks

Justin

JiminyCricket
01-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Justin,
There are a lot of things you can do. Do not worry you can easily get over this.
First thing is, depending on how good of a friend this is to you, is you can talk to him about it. Just let him know that you conditioned yourself to feel nauseas when you eat around him, and tell him why. Do not place blame on him, but just let him know the situation.
Second thing to do is to work your way into it slowly, you feel like you have no safety net in a way...Try to meet with him at a place where you know you like the food and drinks. A good suggestion would be start with drinks, such as a jamba juice. Something that is light on your stomach. Slowly sip it with him around and then, once you are comfortable and able to drink juices, move to fruits, such as fresh bananas or strawberries. Do not eat a lot, just have a few bites, and slowly work your way back to food.
Doing this may take a few days, or more, but you will get over it. Just remember, you wont get sick...
Good luck.

Marko
02-13-2010, 03:24 PM
yea, usually social anxiety arises as a result of some traumatic experience. after that it gets worse all the time. It's not fun at all. I know this because I've been there. However, like the post above said you should really let your friend know about this problem, that way you will avoid that negative thought becuase you will know that your friend understands your situation.
cheers!

drertudge
06-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Heh heh....I should hide it and when they come in;

OH MY GOD WHAT DO YOU MEAN ITS NOT STILL THERE?? I HAVENT MOVED FIND IT