PDA

View Full Version : My First Anxiety Attack

Bonsee
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am a 24 year old male, and just suffered my first anxiety attack a week ago.

I have a history of heart problems, but was assurred by the hospital that there was nothing wrong with my heart.

I am currently experiencing trouble getting that deep breath and find myself yawning alot.

I was wondering if there is a timeline for when these symptoms might leave me, and what I can do to speed up the process of returning to my "normal" feeling.

Thanks for any help.

niq
12-30-2009, 01:37 AM
I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definite timeline. It is a very personal thing, and some people recover faster than others. Some people manage to make a full recovery in just a few months, but for others it is a longer process. Psychologists will generally say that you can expect to see improvement within a month once you start practising the techniques that they teach.

Also, recovery is generally not linear. There is a lot of two-steps forwards one-step backwards stuff. It can be frustrating, but don't despair. Keep praticing the techniques that help, and you will see improvement over time.

Here are some resources that I have found useful;
http://www.panicattacks.com.au/mindful/mind.html (mindfulness)
http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resourc ... Info_ID=46 (http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=46) (CBT)

I would also recommend eating healthy & exercising regularly. Some people also benefit from dietry suppliments, such as B-vitamins & magnesium. Have a look at the Magensium & Amino Acids thread by Hanino.

My heart was doing some pretty crazy stuff a few months ago when my anxiety first started. I would get palpitations and periods of really heavy/fast heartbeat. I haven't had a palpitation in quite a while now. I do, however, still get the heavy heart beat on bad days. Magnesium is supposed to help with maintaining a regular heart beat.

hypnogood
12-30-2009, 05:40 AM
One of the most misunderstood types of mental illnesses are panic attacks. There are many symptoms that people have with panic attacks including those that feel as if you have heart problems. Also people who have heart problems can also have panic attacks. That's why you should get checked out by a doctor if you have continued irregular heartbeats or heart palpitations.

chels343343
01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm 22, and I had a similar experience with my first anxiety attack, except it was over 5 years ago. I had no idea what was going on, and I was more scared about getting scared from that point on!

I continued to have anxiety up and down for several years until my senior year of high school, when stuff started to calm down.

I recently found another resource you can add your list, a site called anxietyinteens, where I posted my entire story under the "success story" tab of the forums.

Good luck; happy new year!

-Chelsea

Bonsee
01-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Wow, these were not what I was expecting.

I knew nothing of anxiety when I had my attack, and thought it would be gone the day after...

So it's been 2 weeks since my attack, and it's been a bit of a rollercoaster. I felt weak, dizzy, struggling to get that deep breath and of course, anxious for about a week after the attack. Then the symptoms started to fade and in the next few days, I felt normal again and I thought I was over it.

But since Monday, my symptoms have returned. Mostly the having trouble regulating my breathing. I find it seems to flare up when I lay down to try and sleep.

Now I was prescribed Ativan after the attack, but only 5 pills (fear of addiction). But I didnt use all the pills until the other night. I hate medicating myself, so as soon as I feel better, I stop the pills.

I am going to see my family doctor today about refilling my prescription.

Is this sort of behavior common?

Bonsee
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I was also just reading over one of the modules that Niq posted, and found some interesting stuff.

In the module it states that I should not be avoiding places or things that I believe will cause me anxiety, which I HAVE been doing. I am used to playing ice hockey 2 - 3 times a week, and have been avoiding it because of my anxiety. It isnt competitive per say, but it is a league, and not bad hockey. I was thinking of playing some shinny first to ease back into it.

But also, last night I was at the hospital again visiting my mom, and I swear thats when my anxiety starts up (either thinking about going to visit, or actually visiting her).

Do you think I should avoid the hospital, or keep visiting?