PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of this?

illini81
12-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I know I suffer from anxiety; ever since I was a little kid I have worried about my health and become pre-occupied by the thought that I have some kind of disease that will end my life prematurely.

Almost 2 years ago I started to suffer from light-headedness/dizziness. It's really a weird sensation - the closest I can come up with is it feels like when you first take off in an airplane, you sort of get (at least I do) a little disoriented and feel a little off balance. It also feels like I constantly have pressure in my head; my ears pop and sometimes ring; and I frequently get headaches. I saw a whole bunch of different docs - ENT, neurologist, and cardiologist. I had imaging done of my brain, and testing done on my hearing. Everything came back normal; so my symptoms have been chalked up to anxiety, and I do the best I can to live with it.

In the last 3-6 months I also have started to feel like my mental functioning is not what it used to be:
1. I feel like I don't read as well; I have to slow down, otherwise I mix words up, add words that aren't there, etc.
2. I don't feel like I communciate as well; it's almost like I have to concentrate harder on my speach or things won't come out right.
3. My memory is not as sharp; sometimes I forget peoples' names that I should remember, for example.
4. Sometimes I will go into a room and forget (for a few seconds) what I went into that room for.

I guess the reason for my post is, does anyone else suffer from these kinds of symptoms? I have suffered from anxiety for most of my life, but have never felt like it interfered with my mental processing. I think on some level it might help me if others have experienced similar issues.

Needless to say, I've convinced myself that I'm suffering from a brain tumor or MS or early-onset dementia or something. Since I haven't had an MRI or CT in over a year-and-a-half my doc has ordered another one. Once the serious stuff is ruled out I suppose I will treat my anxiety more aggressively. I'm just looking for support if there is any out there.

CindyE
12-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I get all of those symptoms! It's really probably just the anxiety, and the more you worry about it, the more anxious you get, and the worse the symptoms are.