PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Symptoms or Medical Problem

mistayken
03-09-2006, 11:42 AM
For the past year I have been having physical symptoms and I am not quite sure what to do.
Last May I was in the hospital and had to have emergency surgery. I had hemorrhaged a liter of blood due to a cyst. I had a blood transfusion at the time and the doctor told me that this would not happen to me again because what I experienced was very rare. All summer my heart felt like it raced especially in the morning when I woke up. At first it was probably because I was anemic due to the blood transfusion. It never seemed to go away though. By November I was feeling like something was wrong. I went to my doctor. My pulse was 123 when he took it. He listened to my heart and told me he didn't think anything was wrong with my heart but prescribed a beta-blocker. My heart still seemed to race when I first woke up in the mornings and I would be hot. Eventually I went to the ER. They ran an EKG. The doctor there said I was having heart palpitations but it was not because something was wrong with my heart. For a few months I managed to put the feeling behind me. I eventually tried to go off the beta-blocker. One day I felt like something was wrong and I was really hot and sweaty. I took my blood pressure. It was 134/99. I normally run 110/75 or lower. Again I started feeling that something was wrong that the doctors are not catching. Now I am having a hard time sleeping. I wake up at 3:00 and start feeling nauseous. Once I get up and going the sickness goes away. It seems as long as I am busy and focused my symptoms of feeling that something is wrong subsides.
This feeling is taking over my whole life and interfering with my ability to function. I want to find out what is wrong and get on with my life. I do not feel depressed but I have had a problem with anxiety in the past. It never felt like this though. If it is anxiety I do not understand why. I don't have anything to be nervous about. Everything in my life is going good. I am interested in finding out what everyone else thinks.
Thanks!

lola_golightly
03-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi I’m new so you might not have seen me on this sight yet.
I've been reading up on anxiety a bit and one thing that can happen is that the anxiety can start after a real health problem (as opposed to one made up or caused by the anxiety like me). It's pretty normal I think to be anxious over your health after something like that but I guess some people (i.e. us) are more sensitive to it. I've been getting heart palpitation for like a year now on and off and if my heart hasn't stopped beating yours certainly won't (trust me, it's allot of palpitations!) I would definitely consider going to a physiologist/physiatrist though, getting through this is a process and I don't think you should do it alone. A thought that always really helps me is this; would a person that is truly sick really be this freaked out? Would they have this feeling all the time like there's something wrong but never finding anything really concrete? I also figure it be a pretty big coincidence if something was seriously wrong with me and I was having anxiety about my health at the same time. I don’t know if it helps but there it is.

P.s Trust the doctor’s opinion, they usually know what there talking about and it's just the anxiety that’s telling you otherwise

mistayken
03-15-2006, 05:46 AM
The Dr put me on Buspar yesterday. I hope this works for me. I am tired of feeling like something is wrong all the time.