PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Symptoms or Medical Problem?

mistayken
03-09-2006, 10:46 AM
For the past year I have been having physical symptoms and I am not quite sure what to do.
Last May I was in the hospital and had to have emergency surgery. I had hemorrhaged a liter of blood due to a cyst. I had a blood transfusion at the time and the doctor told me that this would not happen to me again because what I experienced was very rare. All summer my heart felt like it raced especially in the morning when I woke up. At first it was probably because I was anemic due to the blood transfusion. It never seemed to go away though. By November I was feeling like something was wrong. I went to my doctor. My pulse was 123 when he took it. He listened to my heart and told me he didn't think anything was wrong with my heart but prescribed a beta-blocker. My heart still seemed to race when I first woke up in the mornings and I would be hot. Eventually I went to the ER. They ran an EKG. The doctor there said I was having heart palpitations but it was not because something was wrong with my heart. For a few months I managed to put the feeling behind me. I eventually tried to go off the beta-blocker. One day I felt like something was wrong and I was really hot and sweaty. I took my blood pressure. It was 134/99. I normally run 110/75 or lower. Again I started feeling that something was wrong that the doctors are not catching. Now I am having a hard time sleeping. I wake up at 3:00 and start feeling nauseous. Once I get up and going the sickness goes away. It seems as long as I am busy and focused my symptoms of feeling that something is wrong subsides.
This feeling is taking over my whole life and interfering with my ability to function. I want to find out what is wrong and get on with my life. I do not feel depressed but I have had a problem with anxiety in the past. It never felt like this though. If it is anxiety I do not understand why. I don't have anything to be nervous about. Everything in my life is going good. I am interested in finding out what everyone else thinks.
Thanks!

soshy
03-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi Mistayken, and welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry to hear you were in the hospital :( . I sure know what it is like to have heart palpitations! Having a racing, pounding heart not related to physical exertion is one of the cardinal flags of anxiety. My heart use to race and beat so hard that my chest hurt. I had many tests done and the palpitations were due to anxiety. I had it almost everyday for hours. I thought my heart was going to give out :o ....but my doctor reassured me that it was because of anxiety. I didn't really believe him until I started to get control over my anxiety.

The beta-blockers are suppose to slow the heart, but as you mentioned, there are side effects...sweating. I haven't heard many success stories with beta-blockers helping with anxiety. Anxiety is pretty strong, and if someone is having a panic attack, a beta-blocker can only slow a rapid pulse a little. I normally have a very low blood pressure and pulse; not when I am panicking...it goes way up!

Having stomach problems is another sign of anxiety. It is very common. I use to have a lot of nausea when I was anxious.

I think you should readup on anxiety. Sometimes it comes out of the blue even if life is going ok. There might be some underlined reason/unfinished business that you are not consciously aware of coming to the surface. Have you thought about seeing a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders? They could help to see if this is the problem. Also, there are some self-tests you could take - they our found on this forum listed as 'Anxiety & Depression Screening Tests' under the section 'Articles & Resouces'. There is other good information in that section to learn more about anxiety.

I hope this helped.

Come back soon and let us know how you are doing :) - soshy

mistayken
03-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks so much for your reply. I have an appointment in a few days. I have to get my life back on track even if it means taking anxiety medication.

Irish
04-02-2006, 08:41 AM
I am also like you, Once i feel anything even a strong beat in my heart i feel uncomfortable, and i cant stop moving. I am staying positive tho and i know i am going to beat this, I have to.

This also may seem corney but when i tell myself this it seems to calm me a little...

If I believe in god, Why should I worry ?
The very worst thing that can happen is dieing, Even tho i dont think this has ever happened in a panic attack.

Stay positive mate and look on the bright side ;)