PDA

View Full Version : Is the root cause of social anxiety the way we think?..

seizetheday
11-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I can't help to wonder if the cause of social anxiety, or even just anxiety is caused by the way we think, or a chemical imbalance in us or both. I think it's a combination of both, but i just don't understand it.
I've had anxiety for at least 4 years now but last year something i can't explained happened to me. Me and about 10 other people ate weed cookies and i know that when i get high, i get really anxious and sometimes get panic attacks. I was starting to feel the anxiety coming on about 30 minutes after i had eaten them and then i just lied down outside where everyone was hanging out.. i looked up into the sky and a feeling came over me that everything would be okay.. and i don't know what it was. That night i had the best sleep i have had in about 2 years, and all of my anxiety was gone. completely. just like that. for the next about month and a half i didn't have any anxiety... i could go up to anyone and start a conversation.. it was the best month and a half of my life.. and then it happened.. i got really anxious again.
I experienced this again a few months ago.. but it didn't happen after i smoked weed or anything. for about a week i felt great.. no anxiety or anything.

It just makes me wonder what could have happened for my mind to just suddenly start thinking differently.. i wish i understood this. if i ever figure it out i'll make sure to post a lengthy description on here..

and although recovery sometimes seems impossible, after having these experiences i know life can change

Belle
11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
I have 2 good friends before I ever had anxiety or even knew what it was that went to the movies, ate popcorn, shared a drink etc. The next day they both woke up with anxiety particulary derealization and felt totally unwell and couldn't explain it. They never spoke that morning, or even that day cause they took the day off work and after speaking that night explained the same symptoms to each other. This freaked em out and they went to dr after dr thinking they had a virus of some sort because one of my friends boyfriend at the time had menangitis. Anyway, their tests came clear but they still suffer on and off anxiety, this was 12 years ago. All the dr's said was they were telling each other their symptoms and that would then make them feel it, but they never spoke the day they first felt it and felt the same things, so how could that be??
Wierd, then about 1 year later I ended up with anxiety and they told me what it was after dr's kept explaining it as stress, so I blamed them lol....

But then when we all thought about it and looked back, we experienced some sort of anxiety even as children, but I could never explain either why it would just dissapear cause this has happened to me a few times? It's definately a combo of both imo.

wakeupsmiling
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Well, since thoughts have shown to have a direct affect on physical chemistry (this is now a forgone conclusion, scientifically), then the answer is yes.

But there are other factors, too. The principle of sympathetic resonance (if you take a room full of grandfather clocks, and purposely un-sync the second hand on all of them, you will find, after some time, they will all sync back up) works with people, too.

In girl's schools, they may have different times when they have their cycles, only to 'sync-up' with the rest of the girls, generally speaking. (believe it or not)

This says that consciousness is at play here. One person affects the other, even under the radar. This begs the question, is an anxiety forum the best play to go for someone with anxiety issues? Or is there a forum, full of holistic, healthy people that would be better suited?

Ultimately, I think 'beliefs' are the culprit, which are really complex thought structures.

Paul

Robbed
12-02-2009, 06:39 PM
This says that consciousness is at play here. One person affects the other, even under the radar. This begs the question, is an anxiety forum the best play to go for someone with anxiety issues? Or is there a forum, full of holistic, healthy people that would be better suited?

If you were to throw someone with anxiety disorder among 'healthy, holistic people', chances are pretty good that person would become 'lost'. Unless, of course, we are talking about healthy people who specifically knew how to deal with anxiety sufferers and rehabilitate them. Otherwise, it would be a little like grouping couch potatoes with marathon runners and hoping for the best. On the other hand, it probably WOULD be beneficial to group anxiety sufferers with other anxiety sufferers who have recovered somewhat. This way, the more serious sufferers would feel less lost, yet would benefit from the experiences of those people who have made some recovery. And, to some degree, this is the way things are on a typical anxiety forum.

wakeupsmiling
12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Initially, people would become lost if they were tossed into a contrasting lifestyle. Initially. If I wanted to learn French, there's no better way than to immerse yourself into the culture. I would be lost, yes, but if my desire to learn the language is strong enough, then I would eventually start making progress.

The key here is desire. How bad does one want to change? Placing someone who doesn't want to change into a totally different world is a huge mistake. Someone who wants change must really want it, and that will help them get by their initial confusion and frustration learning something new.

If a couch potato wants to get into shape, and marathon running appeals to them, then putting them in the middle of other couch potatoes with similar aspirations will only take them so far.

But placing them with other marathon runners allows them new opportunities to expand their own belief system, grow, and be around others that can help support them in their new lifestyle.

The forum has it's place along the continuum of healing. But believing that a person who has suffered the same as you and has overcome it to a degree is important to the healing process is limiting (not saying that's what you're saying). I'm not saying it doesn't help, because it can and does. But I can see how it can keep people stuck being around like-minded people constantly.

I'm fortunate that I was able to overcome it years ago (even though I didn't do it through support groups), and am back to provide support, so it works both ways. When I overcame it, I didn't seek others who had it, although it may have helped me because of the many resources people are able to compile. Or it may not have.

But with millions upon millions suffering from anxiety everyday, and ridiculous billions spent on the number one mental health issue I would look further into the company we keep - or the neighborhoods, cities, etc.

Either way, a healthy change in culture and lifestyle will support the healing process. And if that includes bringing others into our lives who aren't exactly like us, then so be it. And if doesn't, then great.

Good debate.

Paul