PDA

View Full Version : Forms of Anxiety, How bad does/will it get??

hesson81
11-24-2009, 07:38 AM
oijned[9we8u4398ufjeiwojfe[ojifcvwe[ojfcweofjce=wojfcwe=oijfcweo=ijfcewo=ijcweoijcioew jcowe

Belle
11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Sorry about the format, I will try to answer you this way so I don't get confused :|

I think I have dealt with anxiety probably the last 10 years, but it never got bad enough to the point I ever had to seek what it was. I always just thought it was light headedness (which I thought was odd), or just stess.
You never worried about how your feeling then , so you never attached to your sensations. Now you worry.

At the time I thought i was having a heart attatck/stroke because of the BP. Then I went to the Dr., they said it's not BP making you feel like that, it's anxiety.
The scare of how you felt and realising anxiety can make you feel like that is enough to scare anyone, you attached to what you were feeling and the fear of it has manifested.

Is the thoughts of going crazy. I don't really think i'm going crazy, but I think about it, and the fear of going crazy scares me to the point where I'll have the symptoms of anxiety, tight stomach hard breathing, light headedness, heat flashes in the feet. It get's to a point where I can't lock off of it. I just can't stop thinking (racing thoughts). It will get to the point where I just feel like I can't get away.
You hit the nail on the head, you think about going crazy which scares you and thus produces anxiety symptoms. Anxiety is all about fear, and fear of what could be especially. You just have to believe that your not going crazy and the more you think about it and let this scare you, the more it'll stay put. Believe this will never happen cause it won't trust me.

I took a time out this morning and took a snap shop of the way I felt. I felt perfectly fine, probably close to the best I have felt in months. I feel like I didn't empower the physical symptoms, so it's in my head now. Excatly, when you don't empower anxiety or think about it, you realise how good you actually feel because really you're perfectly healthy.

Is this all part of it?? I'm currently going to set up more counciling and get with a Psyc, I might even have to take more time off from work. Everything your thinking is the cycle of anxiety, seeing a psych is good, just make sure they do cbt therapy, it's the only form of therapy that will put a lid on your anxiety and 7 sessions is alot if it was doing nothing, an experineced therapist should help you within 3-4 sessions and further sessions to deal with the stress of your sons health or other issues should be after that if you wish.

I have heard you don't want to drink during this. Also, i haven't had that mich physically activity in the last week either, I normally work out atleast every other day, so I wonder if this may have something to do with it.
If drinking is helping you, a couple glasses of wine or beer is ok, just stick with what makes you feel good and cut what doesn't, anything in moderation is ok. Exercise is good for stress relief, try to get back on it, it's not the cause of your problems, but will help you relax and release tension.

I havn't been on Medication yet. I wonder if this is what I might have to do though.
Try to start without medication, this should be the last resort because it could cause further issues (or may not?) You don't sound that bad to me to be on meds, you sound like a strong rational person and with a little encouragment you'll rid of it again as you did previously.

It's kinda ruff going into the holidays because your not allowed to have issues because everyone goes on vacation. So I have to stick this through untill next week.
Who says your not allowed to have issues? Don't worry about what other people think and concentrate on getting better for you and your kids, it's just something your going through, your human, stress and life in general is hard and sometimes we need down time, no one is perfect, your doing a good job!! I have a child myself and the stress of what you went through during his health scare is very understandle, the anxiety you felt was from stress, the anxiety you feel now is your interpretaion and fear of what your feeling and your keeping it going, anxiety alone is stressful.

Thanks so much for any help, maybe someone knows an excersise (mental) to get throgh this. I do know some simple mental exercises to start you off, I'll pm you if you like? :)

hesson81
11-24-2009, 03:40 PM
ds;j cdksjcn[odsoijcn]ewjc093ewoe[jcds[oimc[sdkm[dsonmc[oosdnc[nDC

Belle
11-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I would suggest googling what cbt therapy is. I'm assuming your from the UK? Below is a link I found to help you find a cbt therapist in your area if your therapist is using a different approach that's not working for you.
http://cbtregisteruk.com/ But all therapists should be trained in this, but may use their own approach to it. After you've read what you can, see how it can help you. There is also books online you can buy, try Amazon and read the reviews, adding books to your library about anxiety and workbooks will always be at hand for you at home. There is no one book but an anxiety 'bible' would be Dr Claire Weekes she is almost always the first place recommended to look for help http://www.claireweekes.com.au/

Your therapist is right about the crazy part, that's what I was always told and it did make me feel better. Being overwhelmed can create that feeling that your about to lose control, you imagine the worst will happen but I've learnt the worst will never come, so worrying about it is no help. That's why cbt therapy is good, it helps you identify all your thoughts and how negative and destructive they are. It's what makes you feel and act a certain way and really our thoughts are always passing, but we learn to attach to them and believe them and catastrophise anything we feel. That's where panic attacks come from, you are literally panicking about what your feeling and whats about to happen, when you start to identify those thoughts leading up to it and learn not to 'panic' and relax then anxiety will never become a panic attack, does that make sense?
It's like when I used to have panic attacks I couldn't even go grocery shopping, any little anxious feeling I got I ran with it, I would start to panic, look for exits tell myself I need to get out, omg, omg I'm gonna pass out, embaress myself blah blah blah.... meanwhile I'm having a full blown panic attack sweating, can't breath, choking feeling. Gees.... when I realised it was me doing all that, panicking at the slightest anxiety twinge I stopped my thoughts in their tracks, now when I get anxiety I don't care, I don't panic, I keep my body still and calm and remind myself nothing will happen, nothing I imagine ever happens so to just stop the crap. And it works, I haven't had a panic attack in 4 years just mild anxiety now but I just don't let myself get to that point and I never ever allow myself to leave a place I'm uncomfortable in, I just don't give in to my anxiety ever!!
You know but this came from a lot of reading, searching, trying anything and everything seeing what works and what doesn't. And sometimes you will fall back to the same spot, but each time you learn a little more and get better again, you just have to keep going and know there is help out there, you just have to sort through it all and find what works for you.

I'll pm you some meditation techniques later today :)

hesson81
11-24-2009, 10:02 PM
DKSJ CKDJS CKKDS CDKSN IONED[FOIJE9WJOIijcoiewjnfoienvoinr[vinre[oinvdosinvsd

terrytunes1958
12-04-2009, 07:51 AM
You don't have to resort to medication to manage your anxiety. There are a lot of great natural techniques out there. I recently posted this article to my blog that might help you.

Why do I feel so restless, so jittery, so anxious, where does this coming from? Why can't I relax, or focus, why is this happening to me?" Many people that suffer from anxiety ask their selves these same questions every day, but do not delve into the root cause of anxiety to better understand how they can manage it. A clue to managing anxiety is to empower ourselves with the tools we need to feel empowered. Thus changing negative thoughts and emotions into positive thoughts and experiences.

The first step in managing our anxiety is to understand it's roots. Once we understand it we will become more aware of it trying to take control of us and we can turn the table on it before it has a chance to thrive. We can also use anxiety as a positive in our lives. I will discuss this more at the end of this post.

I came across a great newsletter on the internet recently with the following explanation of anxiety that will help us better understand why we experience anxiety so that we can take action to get control of it in our lives. It reads as follows:

"Anxiety is the body’s reaction to an event that

is experienced as disturbing or threatening.

Our primitive ancestors experienced stress

when they had to fight off wild animals and other

threats to their survival. Now, in the contemporary

world, we are more likely to feel the anxiety that

emerges from stress when we face overwhelming

responsibilities at work or home, experience loneliness,

rejection, or the fear of losing things that are

important to us, such as our jobs or friends. When

we are exposed to such events, we experience what

has been called the fight or flight response. To prepare

for fighting or fleeing, the body increases its

heart rate and blood pressure. This sends more blood

to our heart and muscles, and our respiration rate

increases. We become vigilant and tense. Our bodies

end up on full alert – and this allows us to take

action. When these anxiety-inducing conditions continue

over a long period of time, however, and have

a significant impact on how we live, we may begin

to suffer from one of the anxiety disorders.

Research indicates that anxiety disorders are the

leading emotional health disorder for women and are

second only to substance abuse among men. Within

any given year, it has been estimated that fifteen

percent of the population suffers from one of the

anxiety disorders – yet only a small portion of those

who suffer receive treatment. Fortunately, treatment

is available and generally effective."

I will discuss some of the anxiety disorders that are mentioned here in some upcoming posts, but I wanted to post this article to help us realize that there are effective treatment programs available for us. Click here Understanding Anxiety Picto learn of a great program.

I hope this post helps. All of us can learn with some healthy self exploration, to manage anxiety successfully. To your health,

Terry Poster