PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless & at a loss

DB
03-06-2006, 11:58 AM
I had a panic attack a couple months ago, a full-blown one coming out of a dead sleep; thought I was having a heart attack at the time, but afterwards realized what it was.

In the last 48 hours, I've been awakenened twice by what, for lack of a better term, I call an impending panic attack; I can feel it coming on, but once I'm awake and mobile I can fight it off. Both attacks came from intense dreams involving claustraphobia (sp), which I've had a mild issue with for my entire life. I've frequently had such dreams, but they're not sparked panic attacks.

I've had high anxiety for the same 48 hour period, and a couple aborted waking panic attacks (prevent with breathing and diversion) brought on by thinking about the previous attacks.

The problem is that I can't go to sleep. As soon as I lay down, anxiety starts to climb, a dread of the attack my dreams will provoke.

Just writing this post is making the walls close in. I know its completely irrational, but the stress is real enough.

How can I deal with this? I can handle the waking anxiety, but the fatigue is eating my lunch, and work is going to be a bear (luckily, I'm on a short vacation).

I know its stupid to be 'afraid' of going to sleep, but the instant I lay down, my mind goes into overdrive.

I've never had any sort of sleep disorder before; normally I hit the pillow and am out, sleep like a log.

soshy
03-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi DB, and welcome to the Forum :) .

It's very common to become afraid to be in the same situation or environment where we had our 'first' panic attack. This must be terrible for you and especially because this happened during a sound sleep. I've heard of people having their first panic attack or anxiety waking them up, and thereafter having a fear of going to sleep.

I think that you might have been unknowingly suppressing some anxiety and it finally came out during a deep sleep. People who experience or have anxiety have different levels of intensity and duration. Once it starts to impede our daily lives, it becomes a problem that we need to get help for. If the anticipatory anxiety about going to sleep keeps you from sleeping, I would seek further help.

I think it is great that you are helping yourself by "breathing and diversion." I would suggest picking up a book on anxiety and possibly seeking a doctor or therapist who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy which deals with the 'here and now' of problems rather than deep psychoanalysis as other therapies.

You can overcome anxiety and rid your life from it with knowledge and a little help :) !

Come back and let us know how things are going.

soshy

DB
03-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome, soshy.

This site & the posts have helped a lot-like a lot of other uninforms people, I was badly shaken by the thought I was losing my mind.

I'm getting some sleep, by careful preparation & controlled conditions, and I'm getting the anxiety under control. Luckily this blew up at the start of a short vacation.

A dctor or therapist is out, though; it would have dire implications for my career. However, from my reading on the Net and the posts here, I'm starting to formulate methods that can keep things under control until I get my stress levels back to normal.

soshy
03-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey DB, I'm glad you're able to get some rest. It's 'terribly' simple to say it's just anxiety, but concisely that's all it is. Though, I still can remember the horrid feeling of panic compounded with the thought of going crazy. I was a complete mess. My anxiety became so bad and out of control because back then there wasn't much help for it and I was very young.

I understand the situation not wanting professional help due to career all to well. I found someone skilled to see completely confidentially.

This will pass. I didn't think it ever would, but it did and has for many others. You sound like you are on the right track.

Take it easy - soshy

Cathie
03-08-2006, 03:45 AM
Hi, I thought i'd recommend something to you which might help with trying to sleep and anxiety in general.

I have found that hypnosis CDs by Glenn Harrold to be very useful. He does a whole range but I have found Complete Relaxation to be very good personally. It just guides you into a really relaxed state and uses subliminal messaging to promote a reduction in anxiety generally.

The CDs are generally less than £10 from amazon and are a good investment. Its like going to hypnotherapy, and I know!

Hope that helps you (or someone)
Cathie