PDA

View Full Version : What is the role of God in anxiety recovery?

danstelter
10-23-2009, 05:13 PM
God is very important to me in anxiety recovery. How about other people here? Is this something that is important to you, or does something else help more?

Robbed
10-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Naturally, this is a very complex and controversial issue. It not only depends on a person's religious beliefs, but also a person's beliefs as to the nature of God (and this can vary ALOT even within a given religion). If, for instance, you believe that God is benevolent, then faith in God's ability to heal you can be a VERY important factor in recovery. Such a belief can do MUCH to relieve the stress associated with anxiety symptoms, as well as the fear that anxiety disorder is permanent. But not all religions promote such a benevolent God. Some religions promote FEAR of God, and increasing fear is NEVER something you want to do when you have anxiety disorder (or even if you don't). It is also quite possible to believe that God is punishing you with anxiety disorder. This can be VERY harmful, as it can cause stress, and cause you to do pointless things (or even harmful things) in an effort to try to appease God. It can also generate ALOT of internal anger with God, which can be harmful as well. You might also either not believe in God, or believe that God plays little to no role in a person's day to day life. In these cases, things are a little more neutral - it is up to the individual to cope with and overcome anxiety.

So there you have it. I feel that religion can be either helpful OR harmful when it comes to anxiety disorder. Clearly, religion is most likely to be a positive force when it is reassuring and nuturing rather than fear-mongering and punishing. But it is also not the end-all, be-all when it comes to recovery. If you are not really a religious person, becoming one for no other reason than because you think it will help you is neither helpful nor essential. Neither is giving into fears that your current religious beliefs are somehow 'wrong', and that you must convert to something else.

danstelter
10-24-2009, 09:25 PM
This is probably the most realistic and open-minded view, and as you noted, it pretty much all depends on the concept of God you were brought up with. God was a good thing and kind and loving for me, so it really works for me. I believe that any Higher Power that anyone believes in is kind and loving and not particular to a certain person or crowd. Perfect beings should act differently than imperfect ones such as us.

God should want the best and only good for you and should never ask you to hurt or harm yourself in order to appease his anger. I don't know, I just think that God should be helpful, and not a hindrance, to anyone's life, including that of an anxiety sufferer. I was just curious because sometimes if you have someone who you believe can help you deal with anxiety and take care of all things, then that is very powerful towards recovery from any condition, including anxiety.

I just wanted to collect other opinions...thanks for yours Robbed!

RammerJammer21
10-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I am a Christian and I believe with everything in me that God is the source of my strength and that He has held me close through every step of my struggles with anxiety. He hasn't healed me, but that simply means that He is molding and teaching me. Of that, I am sure. I may feel depressed and anxious or both...but I will never despair because of my Faith.

God should NEVER be viewed as anything but a source of Peace, Comfort, and pure Love. It's truly sad that anyone would ever view God as a source of fear. His very nature is purely the opposite.

Robbed
10-27-2009, 04:39 PM
God should NEVER be viewed as anything but a source of Peace, Comfort, and pure Love. It's truly sad that anyone would ever view God as a source of fear. His very nature is purely the opposite.

I think that the problem here is that, if you read the Bible, it would suggest that God has a very punitive, jealous, and unforgiving side to him - a side that collaberates with Satan to deal with 'undersirables'. And that he can become this way for even the very smallest of transgressions. Of course, trying to reconcile this with the notion of God being forgiving, loving, and comforting is something which has bothered people for millenia, and come to be known as the 'Christian Paradox'. So how shall we look at God? Well, I guess that's strictly a matter of one's faith.

cjdelphi
10-28-2009, 04:40 AM
What's god got to do with anything?

does he pay for your medication?
does he give you advice?
does he sit by your side and tell you everythings ok?
does he sit in to look after your kids?
does he help you out when you need help?

He has absolutely no physical influence on anyone anywhere; sorry to burst your bubble.

All that 'god' influences on you is the mentality as long as you believe he's helping you, you will feel better it's all in your head in that respect.

Robbed
10-28-2009, 04:54 AM
He has absolutely no physical influence on anyone anywhere; sorry to burst your bubble.

All that 'god' influences on you is the mentality as long as you believe he's helping you, you will feel better it's all in your head in that respect.

Again, as I said, it's a matter of faith. There is, of course, no scientific proof that God is out there helping people recover from anxiety (or any other problems). There's also no proof that he ISN'T. So, from a truly scientific standpoint, either is a possibility, but neither can be taken as scientific fact. Thus the matter of faith. But even if God doesn't exist OR doesn't play any active role in a person's recovery, the simple BELIEF that he can or will help you can be quite important when it comes to recovering from a disorder that is PSYCHOLOGICAL.

bio
11-06-2009, 07:07 AM
More often, I feel that religion is a personal matter. Being a Christian doesn't make me a perfect person. Well, I have seen many mental patients who are firm believer of God. They bear patron saint's name too. Why are mentally sick? And there are far too many non-believers are healthy and prosperous.

To make my comment short, I thank God when I am fine. In time of trouble, I cry out to him for strength, good health and wisdom. Indeed, he help me to sustain heavy loads.

coops025
11-06-2009, 08:53 AM
I think if you believe in god then use it by all means. If you truly believe this can help you it's no bad thing after all some of Anxiety is phycological.

niq
11-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I can see that belief in god would definitely be a powerful tool in dealing with this illness, and you should use it if possible.

Personally I don't believe in god, and don't think I ever could. Sometimes I think I am too rational for my own good.