PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety - tight throat same time every day

mom44
10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Hello I am new to the site. I have been diagnosed with anxiety. I am taking zoloft 50 mg per day for three weeks now. My throat gets tight at the same time every afternoon. I would have thought the zoloft would stop this. I have atavan that helps take it away but when will the zoloft kick in? It is very hard because once it comes on I do not feel like going any where. I am starting therapy next week.

seeker83
10-15-2009, 08:26 PM
This is a case when you need to step back in your thought and think of the most comfortable place in your life and share it in those moments when your throat tightens up. You will have to learn what is setting it off and try and relax that trigger in your mind and start to understand it so that you can relax yourself. Tightness in the throat is tension in your mind from the atmosphere that surrounds you. Learn to better understand your surroundings and how you are in no danger of being there.

RammerJammer21
10-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm not that familiar with Zoloft, but isn't 50mg a low dose?

Robbed
10-16-2009, 03:43 PM
You will have to learn what is setting it off and try and relax that trigger in your mind and start to understand it so that you can relax yourself.

One thing you need to realize with anxiety disorder is that symptoms have a certain automatic characteristic to them. It's not at all surprising that you get throat tightness at a certain time every day. After all, many people find that they feel more anxiety at a given time of the day, despite the fact that there is no obvious trigger, It's just the way things work. So the way I see it, just learn to accept the fact that this symptom will occur at a given time of the day. Because only through acceptance will anxiety abate. Going on a 'wild goose chase' to find a trigger which does not exist (that is, unless there is something very specific and overt which triggers your throat tightness) will only INCREASE tension, and make the problem worse.