PDA

View Full Version : WHAT CAN I DO?

Mirokia
03-04-2006, 03:13 PM
I have had agoraphobia for awhile now it all started when i was at a convention with some friends and i had a really bad attack. Ever since then it has escalated to the point where i cant go to eat or have fun with friend's because im afraid of passing out or falling wherever we go i try to bite my lip and stick it out somtimes but it never seems to work i always turn around and dont go . i think it really sucks that i cant go out and have fun like other people my age im 18 and cant even go down the street without worry's of falling or worse my mother understands what i have but doesnt really pay much attention when i explain i can go or dont want her to leave me alone she thinks im acting like a baby or need to be more of a man. I really dont know what to do there thinking of kicking me out of the house soon and i feel ill just lose my mind!!
My Gf is planning on moving up here for awhile she doesnt have a job yet but we plan to move in i hope that will help...but for now im so clueless im currently taking celexa and buspar for the axiety but it doesnt seem to help much just puts me to sleep please lemme know if you have any opionion's thx alot everyone
Chris

MyKeyG
07-03-2011, 07:44 PM
I have had agoraphobia for awhile now it all started when i was at a convention with some friends and i had a really bad attack. Ever since then it has escalated to the point where i cant go to eat or have fun with friend's because im afraid of passing out or falling wherever we go i try to bite my lip and stick it out somtimes but it never seems to work i always turn around and dont go . i think it really sucks that i cant go out and have fun like other people my age im 18 and cant even go down the street without worry's of falling or worse my mother understands what i have but doesnt really pay much attention when i explain i can go or dont want her to leave me alone she thinks im acting like a baby or need to be more of a man. I really dont know what to do there thinking of kicking me out of the house soon and i feel ill just lose my mind!!
My Gf is planning on moving up here for awhile she doesnt have a job yet but we plan to move in i hope that will help...but for now im so clueless im currently taking celexa and buspar for the axiety but it doesnt seem to help much just puts me to sleep please lemme know if you have any opionion's thx alot everyone
Chris

Hi Chris, in my experience the issue with explaining Anxiety Disorder is that people who haven't lived it can't differentiate between it and what I call natural anxiety. People struggle with the concept and therefore develop a 'just snap out of it' approach. That may be the case with your parents You should also consider the fact that perhaps in their ignorance comes desperation and they simply don't know how to help and think a tough love approach may be the answer.

Have you tried printing material from the web or even asking your parents to go along to the Dr with you? They may not understand your ailment but they may at least come to appreciate that it IS an ailment. In any case you need to make them aware that this is a condition as real as a heart or lung problem. As for moving in with your girlfriend beware supposing that this may solve your problem. If your home enviornment is a cause for anxiety then maybe you may benefit from a change but AD is often deeper rooted.

I had my first panic attack 18 months ago. My Dr put me on Lexapro (Celexa) for ten months first 10mg then 15mg. I was also on Lexotan and Xanax but no change. I turned to alcohol and got myself into trouble with the law. I would spend my days in the yard or bedroom drinking. When I wasn't asleep I was drinking, I never went out. Even if I wasn't having panic attacks I would have beer just in case I did. My Dr refered me to a psychiatric centre and I underwent 6 months Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Not only did it help me work through my Anxiety but also gave me a healthier approach to personal issues I had before I developed AD such as self esteem and confidence. Have you told your Doc the meds aren't helping? Are you in a position to seek a psychiatric approach?

Anxiety beater
09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi Chris - I'd just like to echo some of MyKeyG's advice - for most people medication really isn't the answer to anxiety - it just tends to mask the symptoms temporarily and can become a problem in itself if you get addicted. Much better to try to find some psychological approaches that will work for you - I'm afraid this means that you have to really want to get better and you have to be prepared to work at it - but it is possible to recover completely if you find the right kind of help. I wish you well.

Brad72
10-17-2011, 11:36 PM
I certainly feel that a psychologist will do wonders for you. Personally for me medication did not help but my psychologist did. I found for me that ACT therapy, mindfullness, schema therapy and CBT to be the most help.

It can also help to question some of the things that anxiety is trying to tell you like you will pass out of you will fall over. Is there any evidence to support these thoughts. When you had the last attack did you fall over, did you pass out, did you get hurt. If you are like me you will answer no to all of these, but anxiety still tries to tell you that you will.

Remember that anxiety is only a thought. It cannot hurt you no matter how scary it can feel. I think we all get scared of going out and socializing when our anxiety is really bad for the pure fact that at home we just feel safe.

you will get through this and you will get better, no matter how hard things seem now.

Beachgirl
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
MykeyG is right. CBT is your best bet. It has completely given me my life back. The only caveat is that you really need to stick with it to ingrain the new ways of thinking. I have felt great for a while now, but I still counter my thoughts in the TEA form exercise almost everyday. I also re-read the CBT book by Sam Obitz (www.tao3.com) a few times a year just to make sure I am not slipping and to remind myself how far I have come :)

j2005
05-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Get the Linden Method...it is an amazing tool that will help you immensely!

arsenalfun
06-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Like I said previously - be patient, it will go with time :)

Damavandi
07-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Hi:

I direct you to my Thread "The Cure ?" at the Depression forum.
Please read it with care. It sounds right, The Cure very well might be on the way for you,
and it will be very fast.

Best wishes,
Ali

GreenPlz
08-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Damavandi, just read your thread. Very insightful to me.

ananxiousgirl
10-04-2012, 04:01 AM
It will gets better. Hang on.

Dogtime
12-12-2012, 10:13 AM
What happened at the convention? Be honest with yourself and examine whaT upset you there. It's highly likely the cause of your issue was trigger at the convention.