PDA

View Full Version : olanzapine - not helping

amyjones
10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi,

my doc has given me olanzapine for severe anxiety, which from what ive read, is a strange choice of drug for anxiety as its an anti-psycotic?

my anxiety is worse than ever and added to this i now cant think straight atall and bearly speak - have others had experences with this drug for anxiety?

what are the common drugs used to treat anxiety? - im going to my docotr on monday and want to discuss some alternatives to olanzapine (im also living on beta blockers) before this i was on prozac for about 10 years

what are others experiences of drug treatments?

thanks

ps still waiting for CBT............

Robbed
10-08-2009, 09:01 PM
It sounds like you have one incompetent doctor. Antipsychotics are sometimes used to treat anxiety disorder. But only when other medications have failed. In other words, they should NEVER be the first med used to treat anxiety disorder. As for CBT, it might not be a bad idea to get a CBT self-help book and try it on your own. You don't really need a therapist to do CBT, and you might be surprised at how much you can help yourself.

njt1990
10-09-2009, 03:11 PM
i can understand how you feel, when i first started taking olozapine i used to have different side effects, shaking, slurred speach it was horrible, i asked the docter if they could change but in the end i stayed on them and the side effects worn away after a while, i do believe there is something better out there for anxiety than what im on.